Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 loses all functionality intermittently. Wired ethernet stops. Radio signal goes -100db.

CyciumX
Aspirant

RBR50 loses all functionality intermittently. Wired ethernet stops. Radio signal goes -100db.

I've been researching for 3 days and no one describes this issue. Issues of wi-fi stopped working but ethernet remains good or wired ethernet stopped working, but wi-fi remains on are not what's happening. Nothing to do with backhaul issues either.

The base Orbi, the RBR50 seemingly loses power or something for mere seconds at random times. Sometimes its hours between and sometimes is only minutes. I can see when this happens visually as my Home Assistant flashes a setup screen before quickly going back to showing the time. If I'm streaming, the program will fail before quickly returning with whatever I was watching, paused or back at the main menu of whatever service I'm on, like Netflix.

When this happens, my PC hard wired to the main Orbi stops having functioning internet as well as the wi-fi signal itself drops off. Using a wi-fi analyzer on my phone shows my signal from the RBR50 as -35db to -45db under normal use, but when this issue pops up the signal instantly drops to -100db, basically no wi-fi signal. Which is not the same as a signal, but no internet. This is further supported by my girfriends cellphone which is connected to the wi-fi of the satellite, RBS50 losing internet, but the wi-fi analyzer still sees a strong signal. Not a total signal lose like my phone to the main unit.

All seems to point to my main Orbi being at fault, but I can't tell if its an issue folks have had because of firmware or this is a common sign it has just gone bad for whatever reason.

Again, all the speculation on if I have the right settings, AP mode to my ATT modem, carefully curated specific channels, pre-amble modes, reseting the ipconfig... etc I've all done including manually updating to the newest formware with file upload.

Any ideas on how to prove its just flat broken or am I staring at the proof?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CyciumX
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 loses all functionality intermittently. Wired ethernet stops. Radio signal goes -100db.

The issue was unrelated to Orbi. Faulty ATT Gateway, BGW210.

Firmware or other physical component caused all sorts of issues that manifested as other known problems. Wifi signal dropping was due to overloaded Wifi network when the Gateway would kill the WAN connection and 50+ devices tried to hop on Wifi as ethernet failed.

Anyone reading this in the future should be aware that for the most part, the BGW210 from ATT seems to work best when you  disable IPv6, turn off 2.4 and 5ghz radios and use the Orbi in AP mode with wired backhaul to Satellites. Letting the BGW210 handle IP, DHCP and firewall assignments.

Placing the BGW210 in IP Passthrough and turning off its DHCP server to allow the Orbi to run in Router mode is best when your Satellites are NOT wired and use wireless for their backhaul.

This has nothing to do with my problem directly. Just something I stumbled upon during a week of non-stop testing and configuring that should be shared.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 loses all functionality intermittently. Wired ethernet stops. Radio signal goes -100db.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 6
CyciumX
Aspirant

Home is 1200 sq. ft.

v2.7.1.60 for both the RBR50 and the RBS50. Should point out that the issue was worse before I updated the firmware.

After updating firmware I indeed reset both units and installed as a new system. I followed all steps in many suggestions I've come across:
Updated firmware, reset and re-installed each unit. Did this in steps. Rebooted AT&T Intertek G-010G-A. Waited and rebooted BGW210 modem/router, Waited and setup RBR50 by itself no Lan connect only the single WAN back to the modem. Waited and added on Satellite as a separate install after RBR50 was working. RBS50 is 30 feet from RBR50 and only one standard wall separating them. Connected switch via Ethernet to RBR50. Connected Switch to RBS50. Plugged in my devices to switch one by one. All Cat 7 cables. Speed tests, 850/900 (ATT Giga speed internet).

logged on PC and reset ipcofig, renewed ipconfig. Set to AP mode, preambles set to short, 2.4 set to channel 11 after determining least used with wi-fi analyzer. Set 5ghz to channel 48. Unticked 20/40 coexistence and used a variety of test runs with MU-MIMO, BEAMforming actived individually and together. Armor, circle, daisy chain all disabled.

Again, its not an issue of still connected, but no internet, The ORBI RBR50 literally seems like the power micro cycles for just a split second. No wi-fi signal no ethernet activity for those few seconds. ATT reports Broadband still functioning from ONT to Modem.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

How did you update the RBR? Orbi app or did you manually download the FW files and apply them? 

So you don't get any ethernet or wifi internet services currently in AP mode? 

Can you ping the RBRs IP address with a wired PC connected to the back of the RBR? 

Then try pinging the ARRIS router while beind the RBR? 

Is the wifi radios on the ARRIS modem fully turned OFF? 

You might try this and see: Disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

Message 4 of 6
CyciumX
Aspirant

The issue was unrelated to Orbi. Faulty ATT Gateway, BGW210.

Firmware or other physical component caused all sorts of issues that manifested as other known problems. Wifi signal dropping was due to overloaded Wifi network when the Gateway would kill the WAN connection and 50+ devices tried to hop on Wifi as ethernet failed.

Anyone reading this in the future should be aware that for the most part, the BGW210 from ATT seems to work best when you  disable IPv6, turn off 2.4 and 5ghz radios and use the Orbi in AP mode with wired backhaul to Satellites. Letting the BGW210 handle IP, DHCP and firewall assignments.

Placing the BGW210 in IP Passthrough and turning off its DHCP server to allow the Orbi to run in Router mode is best when your Satellites are NOT wired and use wireless for their backhaul.

This has nothing to do with my problem directly. Just something I stumbled upon during a week of non-stop testing and configuring that should be shared.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you figured it out. Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7