Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS 50 Satellite, running different firware versions.

sandman512
Apprentice

RBS 50 Satellite, running different firware versions.

So, currently running a RBR50 with THREE RBS satellites(all wired in).  Just noticed that TWO satellites are running firmware version V2.5.2.4 and one is running V2.7.2.102.  I checked for updates and there were none.  Any thoughts on this?  Thank you and be well!

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS 50 Satellite, running different firware versions.

Always update RBS first, then RBS lastly. 

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

What firmware version is the router running?

Message 2 of 16
plemans
Guru

Message 3 of 16
sandman512
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.  So, I attempted to manually perform the update.   On of the satellites updated to the latest(V2.7.2.102). and the other didn't.  FWIW, the router is running Router Firmware Version
V2.5.2.4.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

FWIW, RBR and RBS have to use same version of FW. So you need to either downgrade the RBS to what the RBR is using or update the RBR to what the RBS are using. 

@sandman512 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  So, I attempted to manually perform the update.   On of the satellites updated to the latest(V2.7.2.102). and the other didn't.  FWIW, the router is running Router Firmware Version
V2.5.2.4.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@sandman512 wrote:

V2.5.2.4.

When manually updating satellites, I have always gone directly to the satellite web interface and used the "Firmware Update" menu item.

There seems to be a general feeling that the Orbi router and satellites should be on the same firmware release (if possible).  Honestly, I have no idea what the impact of being on different firmware releases would be.  Obviously, some of the satellite models (like the RBW30 & RBS50Y) do not have matching firmware.  Why would it matter than a "50" satellite is on different firmware than the "50" router.

(To add more confusion, back when I first tested Voxel's firmware, I put the router on it and left the satellite on "stock" and everything seemed to work just fine.)

If you are comfortable with having satellites on 2.7.2.102, why not load that version on the router?

Message 6 of 16
sandman512
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 , but as of now, they are on different versions.  The odd thing is that when i went to manually update the satellites, one did and one didn't.

@CrimpOn , so I didn't even know that there was a "newer" version of FW for the router.  When logged in as an administrator I request to check for updates, but nothing happens.  i will manually update it tonight.

Thank you to both of you!

PS:  Do I have to upgrade to 2.6.xxx first or can I go straight to the latest?  Thanks and be well.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can go directly to v102

Message 8 of 16
sandman512
Apprentice

V102?  For RBR50 the latest is 2.7.1.60 and for the RBS50 it's the same. Just confirming, thank you.

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 16
sandman512
Apprentice

Thanks!

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 12 of 16
sandman512
Apprentice

Will do, plan on doing it in a couple of hours(still at work).  While I got you, should I do the router first or that one satellite?  Thanks and be well!

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Always update RBS first, then RBS lastly. 

Message 14 of 16
sandman512
Apprentice

Updated and all good.  Thanks!

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7