× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50Y doesn’t connect to RBR20

HenkD
Aspirant

RBS50Y doesn’t connect to RBR20

I recently bought a second-hand outdoor Orbi RBS50Y. I want to connect it to my Orbi RBR20, which already has 3 indoor satellites connected to it. But the connection fails every time. What I have already tried: 1) reset the unit; 2) set the unit back to 'Orbi mode'. Could it possibly have something to do with the fact that I have my Orbi router in 'AP mode'? Do I perhaps need to set it back to 'router mode' first? I hope someone knows a solution

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50Y doesn’t connect to RBR20

What happens if you set the RBR20 to router mode temporarily and then try to connect to the RBS50Y to the RBR20...

I presume that you have done a factory reset on the RBS50Y and setup from scratch...

I'd turn OFF all other connected RBS while you work with the Y RBS. Have the Y RBS in same room as the RBR. 

What is the brand and model# of the host router the RBR20 is connected to in AP mode? 

How is the RBR20 configured for AP mode? Static IP or Dynamic IP?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the RBS50Y and on the RBR20?

Message 2 of 11
HenkD
Aspirant

The RBR20 is up to date. I can see that in ‘orbilogin’. I can’t see that for the RBS50Y because I can’t connect to it. Any tips on how to update the RBS50Y as a standalone?

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

You used to be able to connect to a satellite with its default ssid and then go to 192.168.1.250 to connect to it and manually update. Not sure if you still can or if that's been changed. Maybe @CrimpOn or @FURRYe38 know. They're more on the orbi stuff. 

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you set the RBR20 to router mode temporarily and then try to connect to the RBS50Y to the RBR20...

I presume that you have done a factory reset on the RBS50Y and setup from scratch...

I'd turn OFF all other connected RBS while you work with the Y RBS. Have the Y RBS in same room as the RBR. 

What is the brand and model# of the host router the RBR20 is connected to in AP mode? 

How is the RBR20 configured for AP mode? Static IP or Dynamic IP?

Message 5 of 11
HenkD
Aspirant

After switching to router mode I lost all connection to my Orbi system. Logging in with orbilogin.com does not work anymore. HELP! How can I reconnect / set it back to how it was!? 

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Does your ethernet connected PC get an IP address from the RBR while in router mode? 

Try 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 in a web browser...

Message 7 of 11
HenkD
Aspirant

Brand / model: Sagemcom / F3896LG-ZG

(Netherlands / Ziggo)

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats a gateway modem which maybe using 192.168.1.1 as it's IP address which may conflict with the RBRs which is it's default IP address...

I'd disconnect the RBR from the ISP gateway while you work with the RBR in router mode.

Message 9 of 11
HenkD
Aspirant

I don't know what I did but I could reconnect to the RBR20. It was still in ROUTER mode. After restarting de RBS50Y the router was able to find the satallite. So happy! Thanks for your support!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

If you need AP mode back on the RBR, can set it up using this process if needed.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

Or you can keep the RBR in router mode and use the host routers DMZ for the RBR to help avoid NAT issues. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series