Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rbs20 is sattelite ethernet is connected but no internet connection

chuee
Aspirant

Rbs20 is sattelite ethernet is connected but no internet connection

I have an orbi RSB20 satellite that I have for ethernet for my iMac. it has been working fine until around last week when it decided to just not work overnight. I have been able to use the main wifi in the house but whenever I plug in the ethernet cable into my computer, it disrupts my connection with a "your connection is not private" on chrome whether I'm already on my wifi or have turned the wifi off. I have tried turning off the satellite for the entire day but the same thing happens. I also checked if there were any firmware updates on the orbi app but there were none. The parental controls on the circle app are also turned off. I would really appreciate any help. 

Message 1 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Rbs20 is sattelite ethernet is connected but no internet connection

This appears to be a signal from the Chrome browser that it is not happy with a specific web site.

What happens when all web browsers are closed, the iMac is restarted, and connected to WiFi?

Message 2 of 15
chuee
Aspirant

I just tried that and I am still getting the connection is not private regardless what i search up

Message 3 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

The Chrome browser does this.  What happens when you use Safari?

Message 4 of 15
chuee
Aspirant

I just got "the Safari cannot open page"

Message 5 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

My web browsers usually have a link (often in very small type) for "advanced options" or "more details".

Could it be that these browsers are attempting to open their default Home Page web sites?

What happens when you enter a different web site, such as Google.com?

Message 6 of 15
chuee
Aspirant

The same thing happenes. its basically as if I was on the circle parental controls and all the websites were restricted. for example you can go to youtube but once your on the site it says no internet connection

Message 7 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

My browsers usually offer an option to "ignore the warning and open the web site anyway" (the link in tiny print)

There is no way to "push on"?

Message 8 of 15
chuee
Aspirant

I just checked different accounts and there is no way to push on(I know what you mean now) but no. Heres a picture

Message 9 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

What a mess!

• The iMac works correctly when connected to the router WiFi, but
  • When connected with Ethernet to the satellite Chrome (and Safari) refuse to load web pages?

Are other devices connected to the satellite (and working correctly)?

Does the Orbi "Attached Devices" web page show the satellite connected "Good"?

Message 10 of 15
chuee
Aspirant

yea sorry lol 

I thought of it but I currently don't have any other devices with ethernet ports. also, the ethernet also disrupts other pages that require wifi i.e. games and etc. 

also where do i find this attached satellites part. 

Message 11 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi web administration (point a web browser at http://orbilogin.net).

user name is always "admin" (and cannot be changed"

password was set up when the Orbi was configured.

On the main web page, Attached Devices shows a list of satellites at the top and regular devices on the bottom.

See page 20 of the User Manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 12 of 15
chuee
Aspirant

sorry for the wait yea i just checked it says good I am currently using my sattelites internet

but I just cant connect to the internet when its pluggged in

Message 13 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

It is tempting to blame this on the iMac (works fine when connected with WiFi but fails when connected with Ethernet), but I have no theory for how this could happen.

I keep 50ft and 100ft Ethernet cables in a drawer for doing "crazy tests" (under $20 on Amazon). Would be useful to know if this affects Ethernet connections to both the satellite and the main router, or only the satellite.

Message 14 of 15
chuee
Aspirant

Hey CrimpOn. Just an update on the situation. Its been like 2 weeks since it stopped working but I am happy to inform you that it is miraculously working right now. ty for your time in helping me

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7