Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use 2nd Orbi RBK50 (mesh) router as a satellite?

britgeezer
Tutor

Use 2nd Orbi RBK50 (mesh) router as a satellite?

I found it cheaper to aquire 2nd RBK/RBS 50 system than extra satellites! 

I linked the extra satellite to my system without problem now I would like to use the 2nd Router also just a satellite.

1. Pros / Cons?
  2. How do I do it? Just use the add satellite method or ...?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Use 2nd Orbi RBR50 (mesh) router as a satellite?

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Just be sure that the 2.4 and 5Ghz radio channels are far apart from the main Orbi, i.e. 2.4Ghz on main Orbi set to channel 11, on the RBR in AP mode in the basement, set to channel 1. Same in regards to 5Ghz radios. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Use 2nd Orbi RBK50 (mesh) router as a satellite?

RBRs can't not be used as RBSs. Only as a main host router or in AP mode. 

Message 2 of 7
britgeezer
Tutor

I suspected that.

However as an AP, given that I need to to feed it it with an LAN cable will it mimic the rest of the ORBi network as a satellite would, or need to have its own SID or log in.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

You can connect as many WiFi access points as you want to an Orbi system, and even give them the exact same SSID and password, but they will be separate WiFi systems, in no way "integrated" with the Orbi network.  When a device comes close to an Orbi network, senses it, and connects, there is a relationship whereby the device and the Orbi coordinate when it would be better to change to a different node in the Orbi network.  That will not happen if a device connects to an access point that happens to have the same name and password.  The device will most likely remain "stuck" to that access point until it no longer has any service at all. Only then will it look around for a replacement.  If there are devices that never move, deploying a surplus Orbi router as an access point can make sense, and it is probably convenient to give it the same WiFi name and password. But, the same results can be achieved with a $50 access point of any brand.

"not a satellite - EVER" means "not integrated - IN ANY WAY".

Sad, but true.  No idea why Netgear did this, but they did.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Could have its own or same as CrimpOn suggested. However having too many wifi signals from different orgins near by can cause problems. AT most you could have 1 AP and if you set it to channels 1 and 36 and the main Orbi wifi to channels 11 and 48, you can technically operated in this kind of configuration. 

Again, RBRs don't work as satellites and thus can't be integrated as such. Limitation of the chipset code, HW and how they want to make it operate. Probably too much code to make RBRs work like RBSs. They are what they are. Can't make a v6 engine run like a v8. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
britgeezer
Tutor

Ive actually found a good location for the RBR50 roter as an AP.

In the bowels of my house I have a RBS50 giving signal to my outside whole house generater which obviously doesnt move. Alos a PC server powered by TPlink 2000 power line extender. 

Using the router as an AP is bettter than as a paperweight.

Can you link me to some simple instructions on how to configer the RBR50 as an AP?

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Just be sure that the 2.4 and 5Ghz radio channels are far apart from the main Orbi, i.e. 2.4Ghz on main Orbi set to channel 11, on the RBR in AP mode in the basement, set to channel 1. Same in regards to 5Ghz radios. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7