Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless VLAN and / or Bridge setup

FishMacaroni
Follower

Wireless VLAN and / or Bridge setup

Ok, I'm sorry to sound like a noob but I'm a noob.  Please don't hurt me.  

I'm trying to run a low budget smart home and I've got two Orbi AC2200 systems comprised of the following.  2 RBR20, 2 RBW30, and 1 RBS40 (purchased as two separate systems at two different times - the second being simply a crime of opportunity).  

At peak usage, I've got about 70 devices on the network with approximately 25-30 of those being WiZ smart bulbs.  Another dozen+ are Amazon Alexa devices of some variety.  

At it's most simple, I'd like to set something up where the smart home things are alone on their own VLAN or network - Ring Security, bulbs and door lock - and leave the televisions and computing devices on their own VLAN or network as well.  I only have one ISP with one cable modem.  Coverage is pretty good using only an RBR20 and the RBS40 (the other set is still NIB) but we suffer intermittent slowdowns on all televisions and Alexa speakers and I'd like to eliminate that.

My original plan was to use the second Orbi purchase which included the two RBW30s and just use those to add a couple more satellites to my current setup but I'm afraid that won't do much to help the network (but it could certainly take some of the strain off of the satellite that is feeding roughly 40-50 devices at any given time).  I think VLAN's would be optimal but I don't know if that's possible utilizing Orbi - It seems I can only create VLAN's for devices wired into my router.  

With the bridging capability ... Could I setup the "other" router setup (an RBR20 and 2 RBW30's) as a second network but have the second router bridge the two networks?  Would my network see some relief?  

Please don't hammer me too hard, and thank you for your help.  

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3

Re: Wireless VLAN and / or Bridge setup

@FishMacaroni wrote:

Please don't hammer me too hard, and thank you for your help.  

You have my sympathy, but I have not much idea of what you really want to do.

I like to think simple, but you have complicated that approach.

This bit flashes warning lights:

@FishMacaroni wrote:

..I've got two Orbi AC2200 systems comprised of the following.  2 RBR20, 2 RBW30, and 1 RBS40

Bad idea. Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

I'm afraid I don't get the specific reasons that you have presented. You seem to have come up with a solution – your idea what to do, with all that stuff about Wireless VLANs and Bridge setup – before you have addressed the simple question, what do you want to do?

@FishMacaroni wrote:

I think VLAN's would be optimal.... 

I assume that you reached that conclusion because you read something somewhere. It looks a bit complicated to me.

My first move would be to put aside one of those Orbi routers and see if I can get what I need with all of those satellites. You can use then all with whichever router you decide to deploy.

@FishMacaroni wrote:I'm afraid that won't do much to help the network (but it could certainly take some of the strain off of the satellite that is feeding roughly 40-50 devices at any given time). 

Not sure what you mean by strain. Did your research take in this?

How many devices can my Orbi system support? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I wonder if you are overthinking this? Start simple and add complexity when you hit a problem.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Wireless VLAN and / or Bridge setup

I agree with @michaelkenward about identifying the source of the problem.  "Internet of Things" (IoT) devices like thermostats, door locks, garage door openers, smart plugs, light bulbs, Alexas, etc. consume almost no network bandwidth.  A single 4K television stream can consume 15-25MB constantly.  There are some factors that absolutely limit performance, starting with the internet feed and ending with the connection between tv's and the Orbi network.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7