× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wyze plugs and B&D under cabinet lighting will not respond anymore

Stylerod
Tutor

Wyze plugs and B&D under cabinet lighting will not respond anymore

Hi all. I have an RBR50 with 2 satellites. I have been using Black and Decker undercounter lighting in my kitchen for a few years. They are controlled by Alexa and have been great. I also have about 10 Wyze smart plugs in various locations around the house. They also worked almost flawlessly for over a year. Then Wednesday morning none of these devices would work anymore. Now all the Wyze plugs and the B&D lights will not respond to commands in my app. I can see them all connected in the Orbi software. The Wyze app shows them connected. But no commands work. 

I have rebooted the RBR50 and the satellites. I have factory reset the devices and reconnected to wifi and that all goes fine. But when I try to send them commands, nothing. All other wifi devices work fine. TV's, thermostats, Echo's, phones etc.

The only thing these devices have in common is the wifi network. So I'm thinking it must have something to do with my Orbi.

Anyone run into this before? 

Message 1 of 9
Stylerod
Tutor

Re: Wyze plugs and B&D under cabinet lighting will not respond anymore

Here are a few other things I have tried since posting this. I changed the channel on 2.4 ghz.  I updated the BIOS on the router and sats to the latest that was released in March. After verifying the Router worked after that, I turned it off and turned my fiber router off and on again. Waited a few minutes and then turned on my Orbi's. Unplugged and plugged my troubled devices back in. They all show connected, but still no response to commands. This is driving me nuts.  

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Stylerod wrote:

will not respond to commands in my app.

These commands are (a) when using the Wyze app, or (b) using "Alexa...."

When the Wyze devices were factory reset, were they deleted and re added to the Wyze app and reconnected to the Alexa skill?

Message 3 of 9
Stylerod
Tutor

I don't use Alexa for the Wyze plugs, only the Wyze app. I did remove the device and re-add. The B&D lights are Alexa only. I did not remove and re-add those when I reset them.

I also found another Wyze plug that was never used. I plugged it in and installed it. It connected and said it needed a firmware update. It completed the firmware update and I was able to turn it off and on once from the app. After that it acts just like all my other plugs and won't accept commands anymore.
Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Since the Wyze smart plugs appear on the Orbi Attached Devices list with IP addresses, they are obviously connected to the Orbi WiFi.

• Do the plugs respond to Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) commonly referred to as 'ping'?
    I just installed a Wyze plug and found that it responds to ping.
  • Does this Orbi have Access Control enabled?  (I keep Access Control off except when investigating questions asked on the forum.)  This  is on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Security Menu.  There have been reports on the forum of devices being "Blocked" when the user has absolutely no memory of doing so.  Could you check that the Wyze plugs are shown as "Allowed"?
  • Wyze has a procedure for requesting help with smart plugs.  Does not appear to take much time and might be interesting to see how Wyze responds.
    https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033985252-Connection-Troubleshooting-for-Wyze-Plug 

I have yet to find documentation on how the Wyze app communicates with Wyze plugs.  Have verified that the Wyze app controls the plug (a) when connected to the same WiFi LAN as the plug, and (b) when not connected to the same WiFi LAN (i.e. using LTE data on the phone).  Had expected to see data packets going to/from the plug when it is turned on and off.  So far, I have been unable to capture any, which is annoying.  (I am certain they will be encrypted, but they should at least exist.)

Message 5 of 9
Stylerod
Tutor

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my messages. 

I can ping the plug that I am working with. Access Control is not turned on and all devices have a status of Allowed.

I did open a ticket with Wyze yesterday morning. They had me send logs from the device and did respond that their higher tier support people only work M-F so I won't hear anything until then. I am really curious what they will find and I wish I could look at the log myself. 

Message 6 of 9
Stylerod
Tutor

I did find two more devices that are on 2.4ghz that are not responding/connecting anymore. My LG Washer and Dryer. I haven't found an issue with any devices on 5ghz. But not all 2.4 devices are having issues. My Ring doorbell, Wyze camera and door locks, my HP Printer are all working fine through wifi. 

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is the orbi connected to? 

Many devices play nicely with double nats but not all do. It might be why some are working while others aren't. 

Also, is IPv6 enabled?

Message 8 of 9
Stylerod
Tutor

I don't know the model of my providers router. It's a fiber router that is attached to the side of our house in a locked box. Only thing I can do with it us unplug and plug it in as the power comes from our crawlspace. 

But, good news? This morning for the heck of it I said "Alexa turn on the lights" and all the lights turned on. I started plugging in my Wyze plugs, all of them work. Everything is still working tonight as I write this. As mysteriously as all these devices stopped working last Wednesday, they have all started working again. I'm at a loss. 

I am still curious what Wyze will see in their logs. No update from them yet except to say they are still reviewing everything. 

Thanks for the help you all. I'll update if I learn more about what happened. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series