Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR350 install in AP mode

Tetrad
Aspirant

ORBI RBR350 install in AP mode

I have an ORBI mesh comparing 1 RBR350 and 4 RBS satellites.

I have a brand new RBR350 which I want to add to the existing mesh in AP mode, to act as an extender only.

My question is, How do I do this out of the box?

Do I allow the new RBR to create a new mesh then alter it, or what?

I have not tried anything yet, as I don't want to risk messing up the existing Orbi mesh.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR350 install in AP mode

@Tetrad wrote:

First, the RBR350 must be connected to one of the existing units using an Ethernet cable. Unlike "WiFi Extenders" which are designed to connect to an existing WiFi system over a WiFi connection, the Orbi "base units" must be connected with a cable.  This is often a challenge when wanting to extend the coverage area, but it's simply the way the product works.

When the new RBR350 boots up, it will create a new WiFi network as indicated on the product label and a new IP subnet.  Connect to the RBR350.  Change the WiFi credentials to match the existing system.  Then navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings menu. Select Router / AP mode and on that page click the radio button for Access Point (AP).  When you click Apply, the new RBR350 will reboot and become an Access Point.

Please note that although this new Access Point has exactly the same WiFi credentials as the primary system, it cannot be totally integrated because the new RBRE350 is an independent WiFi system.  Devices may struggle when they "roam" around the house and should transfer to another WiFi unit.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Tetrad wrote:

First, the RBR350 must be connected to one of the existing units using an Ethernet cable. Unlike "WiFi Extenders" which are designed to connect to an existing WiFi system over a WiFi connection, the Orbi "base units" must be connected with a cable.  This is often a challenge when wanting to extend the coverage area, but it's simply the way the product works.

When the new RBR350 boots up, it will create a new WiFi network as indicated on the product label and a new IP subnet.  Connect to the RBR350.  Change the WiFi credentials to match the existing system.  Then navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings menu. Select Router / AP mode and on that page click the radio button for Access Point (AP).  When you click Apply, the new RBR350 will reboot and become an Access Point.

Please note that although this new Access Point has exactly the same WiFi credentials as the primary system, it cannot be totally integrated because the new RBRE350 is an independent WiFi system.  Devices may struggle when they "roam" around the house and should transfer to another WiFi unit.

Message 3 of 4
Tetrad
Aspirant

"the Orbi "base units" must be connected with a cable"

I kind of expected this for the setup process, but if this is the case, then this unit won't do the job I need.

Thank you for your help - I'm glad I asked the question!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7