Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK352: (DNS?) Issues after restart

Mytherin
Tutor

Orbi RBK352: (DNS?) Issues after restart

A few days ago I got my Orbi RBK352. I have set it up in AP mode. The Orbi is directly connected using an ethernet cable to my primary modem/router. Everything works well and the internet/connectivity is great, but somehow after restarting the Orbi I run into very odd internet issues:

• Certain websites will load (e.g. google) but others do not (e.g. github).
  • While google works in the browser, pinging google does not (typing `ping www.google.com` in the terminal leads to a time-out)
  • I am not able to connect to `orbilogin.com` on my laptop, only on my phone. My phone does have the same issues loading various web pages though.
  • The pages that can be loaded and cannot be loaded are consistent (e.g. google is always available, github is never available).
  • When this happens, if I connect to the wifi on my main router none of these issues are there and the internet works as expected.

What fixes the problem is switching the Orbi from AP Mode back to Router Mode, and then switching it back to AP Mode. This fixes all of the issues, at least until the next restart, and the internet works great again.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause these issues and how I could resolve them permanently without having to do this switch every time the Orbi is restarted?

The Orbi is on the latest firmware version (V4.4.0.10_2.10.63).

My laptop is a Macbook, and my phone is an iPhone. I tested different browsers (safari, chrome) and the issues were present in every browser. I also tried resetting caches of the browser and that did not fix the problem either.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK352: (DNS?) Issues after restart

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What DNS is being used on the host router? ISP or custom? 

Did you set up the RBR for a Dynamic or Static IP address for AP mode? Static IP address is recommended. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What DNS is being used on the host router? ISP or custom? 

Did you set up the RBR for a Dynamic or Static IP address for AP mode? Static IP address is recommended. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mytherin wrote:

What fixes the problem is switching the Orbi from AP Mode back to Router Mode, and then switching it back to AP Mode. This fixes all of the issues, at least until the next restart, and the internet works great again.

How often does the router restart?  My router has gone six months without restarting.  I have it on a small UPS to prevent 'power blips' from triggering a restart and only a 6 hour power outage was long enough to drain the UPS and force a restart.

Can you please clarify one tiny detail: the iPhone is obviously connected to the Orbi over WiFi.  How is the Macbook connected? (WiFi or ethernet?)  The reason I ask is that orbilogin.com, orbilogin.net, routerlogin.com (and several others) are not real internet URL's.  They are intercepted by the Orbi which says, "oh, that's ME."

Many users would designate fixed IP addresses for the Orbi router and satellites in the primary router setup tables so that (a) they will always be at the same IP address, and (b) so that a browser can find them using the IP address rather than the phantom URL.

Message 3 of 5
Mytherin
Tutor

> Did you set up the RBR for a Dynamic or Static IP address for AP mode? Static IP address is recommended. 

I was using a dynamic IP address, switching to the static IP address seems to have solved the problem! Thanks.

How often does the router restart?  My router has gone six months without restarting.  I have it on a small UPS to prevent 'power blips' from triggering a restart and only a 6 hour power outage was long enough to drain the UPS and force a restart.

In general very rarely, but I was doing some work that required me to turn off the electricity a number of times, hence my annoyance at the problem 🙂

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7