Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850/RBS850 WiFi slow on a 1GIG fiber (getting 90Mbs up/down)

rimasidd
Tutor

RBR850/RBS850 WiFi slow on a 1GIG fiber (getting 90Mbs up/down)

I have att 1 gig fiber (  1 RBR router ) - (4 satellites)  6500 SQ ft house 

satellites are 25-30 ft apart on second floor < Router ( which acts as bridge) also on second floor ( hard wired to ATT)

used to get 350mbs , then has issues with drops so i disconnected one of the satellites. Still gets drops, but not that often, challenge is  over the last month WiFi speed has dropped to less than 100mbps down and up causing issues on all connected devices

v. 4.6.3.16 on router and satellite

Any ides thoughts on how to fix would be appreciated 

Rima

Message 1 of 17
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: RBR850/RBS850 WiFi slow on a 1GIG fiber (getting 90Mbs up/down)

Try starting with the diagnostic steps outlined in the community FAQ: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slo....  The results will isolate where your speed drop is occurring, then we can focus improvement steps for that point.

Message 2 of 17
rimasidd
Tutor

Thanks i did all that .

hardwired into att arris - 750 download, 930 upload

hardwired into RBR Router - 94 ( upload 'download) 

reconfigured everything so that att Arris is set up a a bridge , RBR set up as router with pass through. Issue is hardwired right out of RBR speed is extremely low

Message 3 of 17
Mikey94025
Hero

@rimasidd wrote:

Thanks i did all that .

hardwired into att arris - 750 download, 930 upload

hardwired into RBR Router - 94 ( upload 'download) 

reconfigured everything so that att Arris is set up a a bridge , RBR set up as router with pass through. Issue is hardwired right out of RBR speed is extremely low

Thanks, now we know to look at the RBR speed drop and can factor out wireless for now.  So you have bridged your modem and wired download speed is 94 Mbps vs. 750 Mbps when removing the RBR?  That is surprising.

Do you recall what default settings you changed on your Orbi?  Make sure you have not enabled Armor, Circle, Speed Test, Access Controls and Traffic Meter.

As a last resort, how do you feel about factory reseting the Orbi and then seeing if the speeds recover?

Message 4 of 17
rimasidd
Tutor

I don’t think resetting the Orbi is an issue, the only changes I made were on the att box .. rbr was already in AP mode
Message 5 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Does the 850 router have an Advanced Tab home page similar to the older Orbi routers:

show-statistics.JPG

If so, what does this option indicate for the router WAN port?

(The reason I ask is that 90mb is a 'suspicious' number, being just short of 100mb.)

If the Orbi believes that it is connected to the ISP device at 100/Full, then the maximum speed will be just under 100mb.

This is probably not the case, but requires less effort to check than a Factory Reset.

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Also be sure your using good quality LAN cable between the ISP modem/ONT, RBR and all wired devices. 

Message 7 of 17
rimasidd
Tutor

It does - the router wan port is 100M/Full

Message 8 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@rimasidd wrote:

It does - the router wan port is 100M/Full

When the Orbi "knows" that the port maxes out at 100mb/Full Duplex, then it will not receive faster than 100mb.

How this happened when nothing has changed is one of those mysteries of life.  I would try a different ethernet cable and also take a really good look at the tiny gold wires inside the ethernet jack of the ISP device and the Orbi.

Message 9 of 17
rimasidd
Tutor

Orbi has 4 ports ( i tried each one) the cable is fine as when I connect to ISP modem it shows 850-/900 upload /download

is there a way to configure the WAN port? Or is it automatic?

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the WAN port is only showing 100Mpbs, then there can only be a few things, Bad cable between the ISP Modem and RBR. ISP Modems WAN ports is faulty or not supporting of 100Mpbs. Or RBR  WAN port is faulty. 

Check support of the WAN Port on the modem. 

Check LAN Cables. Swap lan cables between the modem and router. 

There is not speed settings on the WAN and LAN ports, there all automatic detection of speed.

Message 11 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@rimasidd wrote:

Orbi has 4 ports ( i tried each one) the cable is fine as when I connect to ISP modem it shows 850-/900 upload /download

is there a way to configure the WAN port? Or is it automatic?

Maybe it is the ethernet jack on the Orbi?  (At my age, it takes a special pair of reading glasses to be able to focus on those little wires.)

No. There is no way to 'configure' the WAN port. That is entirely automatic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation 

It is really frustrating that Netgear elected to omit the tiny LEDs from the Orbi ethernet jacks that indicate connection speed and traffic. (True, most customers would rather not have LEDs blinking in the bedroom, but that's why black electrical tape was invented.)

If you happen to have a (really dumb) gigabit switch on hand that does have the LEDs, it might be useful to connect it between the ISP device and the Orbi WAN port.  Some customers are fortunate to have access to the inner workings of the ISP device and might be able to see what the ISP "thinks" about the Orbi link.

Message 12 of 17
rimasidd
Tutor

First of all thanks to all of you responding. I will try out different cables, and see if I can swap out the ISP device.

Will update tomorrow
Message 13 of 17
rimasidd
Tutor

ok Mental note - Do not reset Orbi ( it has taken me all day yesterday to get it running and still only 2 satellites connect, the other 2 are still MIA) 

I also changes ports and used different cable but the throughput is still 94 MB from the router.

so now:

1. any ideas on how to factory reset the router and get a clean pairing of the 4 satellites?

lets get this solved first then I will tackle the speed hthroughput

Thanks

@rimasidd wrote:
First of all thanks to all of you responding. I will try out different cables, and see if I can swap out the ISP device.

Will update tomorrow

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

I would turn OFF the RBS for now as it seems the main issue is at the RBR. 

After you reset, power OFF the ISP modem/ONT and RBR for 1 minute. Then back ON with the modem and RBR. Walk thru the RBRs setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. Once completed, check the connection status page. IF you still see 100Mb on the WAN port, then there is something wrong with the RBR. 

What is the model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 15 of 17
rimasidd
Tutor

Thanks will try it out

ISP device is a ARRIS BGW210-700

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what it shows. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7