Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Region change on Netgear Orbi RBK752

TheIntro
Aspirant

Region change on Netgear Orbi RBK752

Hello, 

I am planning to purchase the Netgear Orbi RBK752 in the USA and am planning to take it to India for use there. I wanted to know from the existing owners if the region of the product can be changed. Can you confirm if India is on the list of the regions?

Also, it will be good to know if the rating of the power adapter is 100-240V?

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Region change on Netgear Orbi RBK752

There is no region setting on Orbi. 

Most Orbi systems here in the USA only have 110v adapters. Though my 8 series seems to be dual voltage.

Message 2 of 15
TheIntro
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.
So, does it mean that it can be used anywhere around the world and the region is automatically detected when setting up the device? Or is it locked to North America?

Thanks.
Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Not really sure if it will auto region change. I don't see India or Bahasa in the language drop down menu for the RBRs web page so I don't know if the India region will be used. You might contact NG support to see what is officially supported. 

Message 4 of 15
TheIntro
Aspirant

I actually spoke to a netgear agent through chat. They told me that the region can be changed. That is the reason I wanted the existing owners to confirm if the region can be changed and India is available in the list and also to confirm that the product is not locked to North America. 

Thanks. 

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

MIght ask them where thats done at...I don't see any UI features to do this nor India listed. 

Message 6 of 15
TheIntro
Aspirant

I was going through the manual and it says it can be done. These are the steps:
Select ADVANCED> Advanced> Wireless settings. There is a Region menu there. So, it would be great if anyone could check that.

Thanks.
Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so yes, you can change region here, however mine is grayed out so it maybe locked in here since this is used and was first setup in the USA. 

RegionSelection.png

I don't know if this opens up if taken to a different region or if this is only open for other regions if the unit is bought outside of the USA. 

Something to ask NG about before you buy. 

Message 8 of 15
TheIntro
Aspirant

Oh! Okay, I will get in touch with support and confirm this if it can changed. 
Thank you so much for your help. 

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what they say. Curious about this. 

Message 10 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

There is a difference between Region Code and Language.  "India" is not a language.  On the pull down language menu, I did not see Devanogari Script as one of the choices, but English is also a common language used in India.

From looking at that Advanced WiFi web page, it appears that Netgear has these Region Codes:

0 - Africa
 1 - Asia
 2 - Australia
 3 - Canada
 4 - Europe
 5 - Istael
 6 - Japan
 7 - Korea
 8 - Mexico
 9 - South America
10 - North America
11 - China
12 - India
13 - Malaysia
14 - Middle East (Algeria/Syria/Yemen)
15 - Middle East (Iran/Lebanon/Qatar)
16- Middle East (Turkey/Egypt/Tunisia/Kuwait)
17 - Middle East (Saudi Arabia)
18 - Middle East (United Arab Emirates)
19 - Russia
20 - Singapore
21 - Taiwan

India appears to be #13, so there is a very good chance that India is one of the possible Region codes.

It is very smart to get an answer from "someone who actually knows" to this question.  My ancient RBR50 Orbi has this comment in the user manual:

region_code.JPG

I am in North America, and sure enough, I cannot change the Region Code.  Maybe I cannot change it because I am in North America, or maybe there is some "other reason".

Netgear has forum moderators who manage different parts of the globe.  Perhaps there is one responsible for customers from India (but I have no idea how to find out if that is so or how to reach such a person).

Message 11 of 15
TheIntro
Aspirant

So, I just spoke to netgear. The agent said that the region is locked to the US and it cannot be changed even if it is taken to another country and activated there. Don't know if that is a good or a bad thing because they sell the same product in India as well. 
Thank you everyone for your replies. 

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend to avoid hassles, if you want a Orbi system, buy one In country where you be residing. 

Good Luck. 

Message 13 of 15
Kim01
Aspirant

I bought my Orbi mesh RBR 750 units in the US with the intent to use it in Mexico. I wrongfully thought that it would work in Mexico. All I want is for it to extend the WiFi range. Here in Mexico all the house walls are made of brick or cement. The single has a hard time getting to other rooms. What I have found, that seems to make the ORBI work, is to use a VPN and connect to a US location.  This has allowed me to use the internet with the ORBI.  I am still working on setting up the satellite unit. Hope this helps. 

Message 14 of 15
Kim01
Aspirant

OK, I am following up to my previous statement.  Even though I was connecting to the internet via the RBR750 router the system was not correctly set up. First, for Mexico, the router works with not regional setting adjustment. Second I broke down and called Netgear support. The support person was patient. He walked me through the steps to properly connect the router to the modem and establish connection with the satellite.  I would not have figured it out by myself.  I wish I could explain the steps but there were many. The first thing we did was enter the web address 192.168.1.1 for the router and got to a page that said I was not connected. At the bottom of the page, in small print, is a link that allowed me to finish the set up as describe in the instructions.  If all else fails call support.  happy trouble shooting.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7