Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slack Causes Constant Disconnects While in Huddle (video call)

kingharrison
Aspirant

Slack Causes Constant Disconnects While in Huddle (video call)

I am on the latest firmware of 9.11.1 and I am having a challenge where Slack Huddles (video calls) constantly drop and then reconnect. 

Anyone else experience this?

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slack Causes Constant Disconnects While in Huddle (video call)

This the only app this happens with? 
Does this happen with other devices? 

Something to to ask the Mfr of this app about. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 
How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try with SIP APG enabled. Under Advanced Tab/Setup/WAN Setup.

Message 2 of 10
kingharrison
Aspirant

This seems to happen with Slack and Microsoft Teams on video calls, did not happen with the previous routers. 

RBS is hardwired with the other. 

No WiFi neighbors. 

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

How are the RBS ethernet connected to the RBR? Any LAN Patch panels or LAN switches in between? If so, brand and model please. 

What CAT# LAN cable is used to connect the RBS via ethernet?

Message 4 of 10
kingharrison
Aspirant

I upgraded the switch the RBS is connected to. That seems to have helped a lot. 

Will see how meetings go today. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What was the brand and model# of the old switch and what is the brand and model# of the new switch? 

Message 6 of 10
brianld
Apprentice

FWIW I frequently use Slack / Teams / Webex, and haven't had the same disconnects that you mention.  Here's hoping that the switch you swapped out was the issue.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@kingharrison wrote:

I upgraded the switch the RBS is connected to. That seems to have helped a lot. 

Will see how meetings go today. 

Message 8 of 10
kingharrison
Aspirant

I believe I have figured out the specific condition that causes this:

When you hardware these satellites (even with a high quality router and setup) and put them far enough so that their coverage bubbles overlap, but 'near' the end of their coverage so that it is hard to say one is stronger and better at one moment than another, and you use an app that is like video calling where you are uploading and downloading constantly, the current version of this software causes some type of bad decision or race condition and it drops. 

Now, this exact same infrastructure I had with Linksys mesh setup (it is using the same wires to transmit between the base unit and the satellite) it did without issue. 

I have upgraded to this for WiFi 7, so this is either a hardware limitation OR (more likely) a software limitation. 

I did unplug these two units and put back in the Linksys pair and did not have an issue, and I tested all the 'hot spots' that were causing the issue. 

So, that being said, how do I get help troubleshooting this to improve the firmware to make this better?

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this happen with just one RBS enabled? 

Does this happen if you connected the RBS wirelessly to the RBR and not ethernet connected? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.

What was the brand and model# of the old switch and what is the brand and model# of the new switch? 

How are the RBS ethernet connected in back each RBS? Which ports are being used in back?

What CAT# LAN cable is used to connect the RBS via ethernet?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Please give feedback to the questions presented so we can better troubleshoot this with you.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7