Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBK752 Satellite Not Performing

Spud2599
Tutor

CBK752 Satellite Not Performing

Happy February to all.

I purchased the CBK752 and went through the setup proceedures and after much frustration with the entire setup process, I was able to get the Main Orbi router/modem fully operational and repeated FAST.COM and SPEEDTEST.NET runs show close to a gig of speed within 15 feet of the modem (I'm on Spectrum 1 GIG plan). When I'm 2 rooms away (maybe 45 feetish away) I get 400 Mbps which is really good. I placed my Orbi satellite in that farthest room, connected it to the main router/modem, and then connected my home theater PC to the satellite (via CAT6 cable). When I run speed tests on that PC, the MAX Mbps I get is 10! No, i didn't leave a zero off...10 Mbps...often less! I went ahead and rebooted the satellite multiple times to no avail. When the satellite is connected and I'm on WIFI on my phone (which is WIFI6 capable), abysmal speedtest runs. When I power off the satellite, the phone reconnects back to the main router/modem and pops 300+ Mbps.  I then switched my home theater over to WIFI and got 300+ Mbps off the main router/modem.

ALL SOFTWARE is updated to latest versions according to Orbi APP and the admin console.

I had an earlier version Orbi setup RBR50, with the main router and satellite set up in the same positions, and the satellite on that routinely did 300 Mbps to the home theater.

Any thoughts? It's obvious there's something wrong with the satellite, but not sure what to do at this point.

HELP ME ORBI WAN KENOBI! You're my only hope!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CBK752 Satellite Not Performing

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Be sure when you speed testing, that you ensure your wifi device IS connected at the RBS. Disable the devices wifi radio for 5 seconds then back ON while near the RBS. 

Message 2 of 6
Spud2599
Tutor

See inline responses below:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded? Main Router/modem: V4.6.5.8_2.0.54; Satellite: V4.6.5.14

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1700 Sq Ft
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡   At least 45 Feet. 

Be sure when you speed testing, that you ensure your wifi device IS connected at the RBS. Disable the devices wifi radio for 5 seconds then back ON while near the RBS.  

Here are screenshots of my speed test runs standing in the exact same spot, and following your protocols above (disable wifi for 5+ sec).

This is the speed when connected to the Satellite

Screenshot_20220204-100353_Speedtest.jpg

Here's the speed standing in same spot, satellite disconnected, and connected to main router/modem:

Screenshot_20220204-100500_Speedtest.jpg

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

So can you move the RBS a bit closer to the RBR? say 10 feet closer? Then check speeds? 
Seems like the RBS is having some issues maybe. 

Check to be sure that WMM is enabled and  CTS values are changed to 500 or 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Something you can try. Download this .zip file from here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

This has newer RBS FW that you can load up on the RBS750 only. Don't bother with the RBR750 FW file. Delete it if you want too. 

Don't worry about the CBR. Load up the RBS750 FW. After it's loaded, power OFF The RBS for 1 minute then back ON. Check speeds. Try a factory reset on the RBS and re-sync and check again. 

Message 4 of 6
Spud2599
Tutor

Thanks @FURRYe38 FURRYe38 for the assistance, but that didn't work. I went onto Chat support and working a case now. Multiple changes there and so far no improvement. Guessing there's probably a RMA going to happen.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, if FW didn't help then keep on NG support and get an RMA. 

Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7