Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ap mode or router orbi rbk50

st_shaw
Master

@seurat0109 wrote:

st_shaw,

Thanks for the clarification.

A.)  I screwed up on the identification of the Orbi.  I was looking at the IP for the Orbi Satellite.  My Gateway is showing 10.0.0.211 for the Orbi and that matches what is showing up on the Orbi page that you referenced.  That IP doesn't show up on theOrbi "Connected Devices" page, which makes sense.

B.)  That leaves the 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.254 IPs that I mentioned.  Those are showing up on the "Connected Device" page for the Orbi (see attachment).  The 10.0.0.1 must be the Gateway.  Since the Orbi is, in fact, wired to the Gateway that would make sense.  The MAC shown for the 10.0.0.1 IP doesn't match, as far as I can tell, the MAC of the Gateway so that's another question.  I'll look into that later.

In any case, that just leaves the 10.0.0.254.  That IP is not showing up on the Gateway.  I do have a desktop PC wired to the Satellite, but I checked and it has a different IP (10.0.0.29 - not shown on the list as it was in sleep mode when I took the image).  

Based on the attachment can you think of what that IP might represent?

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne,  The MAC address of 00:05:04:03:02:01 is almost certainly spoofed and not a real MAC.  I think you said you have Comcast.  I expect it's something to do with how Comcast setup your router, and isn't a concern. You can Google it. It's probably a fail-safe IP address hardwired into the router to allow access to the router for special purposes, troubleshooting, etc.

Message 51 of 52
seurat0109
Aspirant

st_shaw,

You appear to be correct.  I found the following in a search for 10.0.0.254 and 00:05:04:03:02:01:

"It's the IP address and the MAC / hardware address of the gateway's built in ASA hardware firewall."

I've posted this in case anyone else happens to wonder what it might be. 

Thanks for all the help in getting the Orbi operational!

Wayne

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 52 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7