Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Authentication Required using Orbi with Google Fiber

Doctorold
Star

Authentication Required using Orbi with Google Fiber

So I bought the Orbi system and used it flawlessly with TWC cable internet. Took the Orbi to my new house where we had Google Fiber installed.  Unfortunately, some web pages ask for username and password for authentication. If you switch and use the router that is built into the Google Fiber box I have no issues.  I can't believe I just wasted $400 bucks for a wireless mesh system that doesn't work. Google installers had no clue.  If anyone knows of something I am missing in settings, etc. please let me know. 

Message 1 of 23
William10a
Master

Re: Authentication Required using Orbi with Google Fiber

The difference is the google fiber must require a login to use the internet service were the twc cable internet service was constant on service you may have to resetup to the Orbi system to match your new isp's requirements and not to twc's as it was once set up for.

Twc's service is dynamic ip address system were company has control though their modem of your ip address and internet speed.

Google may be closer to a dsl type service were your require to use a users name and passphrease to use their service given to you in a letter like att did some times years ago with their dsl service I have not seen how att handles their set up with newer tv/phone/internet services set up process.

Message 2 of 23
William10a
Master

One possible answer thinking about it you could have the google modem/router set up as a bridge and let your netgear router work as a normal router the isp modem should be able to handle the logging  in part and pass the Internet to your netgear router just you did your twc Internet service.

I hope this crazy idea works for you.

Message 3 of 23
Doctorold
Star

There's no login required for Fiber. Unfortunately, Orbi hasn't been around long enough nor has Fiber to find more with same issue. Can't find any settings in Fiber setup to change the way they play together.
Message 4 of 23
StephenB
Guru

You could use the google router, and then set up Orbi as an access point.

Message 5 of 23
Doctorold
Star

What's the difference? I want the internet piped through the google network box into the Orbi and then broadcast throughout and to the Satellite unit. But it shouldn't be blocked by anything. Doesn't make sense
Message 6 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Doctorold wrote:
What's the difference? I want the internet piped through the google network box into the Orbi and then broadcast throughout and to the Satellite unit. But it shouldn't be blocked by anything. Doesn't make sense

https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/2446100?hl=en  ...you cannot use your own router in place of the Fiber Network Box...

The simplest way to set it up is to connect Orbi to that fiber network box's built-in router, and configure Orbi as an access point.

Message 7 of 23
Doctorold
Star

Okay, so that's how they set it up and it asks for authorization on websites. That didn't really tell me anything new. That's why I'm here hoping to find a setting or setup that will get past this error
Message 8 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Doctorold wrote:
Okay, so that's how they set it up and it asks for authorization on websites. That didn't really tell me anything new. That's why I'm here hoping to find a setting or setup that will get past this error

Is there a problem with using the AP mode of the Orbi?

Message 9 of 23
William10a
Master

I have a modem from spectrum and use a dual router wired from lan port of modem to the internet of the router as a normal router just the modems wifi is turned off .

Message 10 of 23
Doctorold
Star

So just for giggles, went into Fiber settings again and turned wifi off. But in Orbi settings, there is nothing to set it to bridge mode. Went online anyway to check and it's the same. What's really odd is some pages load, others need authorization. I checked someone's twitter fine but going to ESPN, CNN, and others don't work. Anyway. I ran some speed tests on both networks (Google Fiber Box and Orbi) and there was little difference in speed albeit I didn't have the satellite hooked up for Orbi. If I can get decent speed far away from the Google box then I guess I'll have to be satisfied. Anyone interested in purchasing a wireless mesh system?
Message 11 of 23
William10a
Master

Strange the Orbi should be able to operate as a access point other people who use fiber internet have used gateways from their isp's and netgear routers together before and not had problems like this sure lan cable pluged into the wrong port or a bad cable.

Message 12 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Doctorold wrote:
 But in Orbi settings, there is nothing to set it to bridge mode. 

You don't want bridge mode, you want to set up the Orbi as a wifi access point.  That's usually called AP mode, and it's described on page 75 of the Orbi manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

If you don't use port forwarding, you can also keep using the Orbi in router mode, just connect it's internet port to a lan port of the google network box (and don't connect anything else to the google network box).

Either way, if the network box has wifi, you'll want to turn that off.

Message 13 of 23
Doctorold
Star

So I went back and tried again. Cutoff wifi on my Google box. I have the Orbi connected via Ethernet to the Google box.  Then I connect via wifi to my Orbi network. I tried to login via orbilogin.com but it wouldn't  take the username and password (basically like the same request it gives me when I have tried to use it as a router) It finally gave me a page that said enter the serial number and we'll help you with your password. I did that and got ......"page not found". I have the Netgear genie app installed but it has no settings to adjust between router and access point. I'm stuck and frustrated.  Guess I have wasted $$$ unless I can find someone who wants and Orbi.  Used to work great on old fashioned cable internet. 

Message 14 of 23
William10a
Master

@Doctorold wrote:

So I went back and tried again. Cutoff wifi on my Google box. I have the Orbi connected via Ethernet to the Google box.  Then I connect via wifi to my Orbi network. I tried to login via orbilogin.com but it wouldn't  take the username and password (basically like the same request it gives me when I have tried to use it as a router) It finally gave me a page that said enter the serial number and we'll help you with your password. I did that and got ......"page not found". I have the Netgear genie app installed but it has no settings to adjust between router and access point. I'm stuck and frustrated.  Guess I have wasted $$$ unless I can find someone who wants and Orbi.  Used to work great on old fashioned cable internet. 

Remove Genie from the computer or phone and use a web browser to log in via lan cable from a computer to Orbi base station if netgear has kept the same ip address it should be 192.168.1.1 for the router's gui menu.

Message 15 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Doctorold wrote:

So I went back and tried again. Cutoff wifi on my Google box. I have the Orbi connected via Ethernet to the Google box.  Then I connect via wifi to my Orbi network. I tried to login via orbilogin.com but... 

I think we can this to work with a little more patience (though I know it's been frustrating so far).  Make sure the ethernet from the google box goes to the Orbi internet port.

Try rebooting the main Orbi unit.  Then if orbilogin.com still fails, try http://10.0.0.1  The google box has taken 192.168.1.x already, so the Orbi should automatically switch to 10.0.0.x.

If that fails, try a factory reset on the main Orbi and set it up again.  You reset the Orbi by inserting a paper clip into the reset slot (as shown on page 8 of the manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf?cid=wmt_netgear_organic).  You'll need to add the satellites again after the reset.

Message 16 of 23
Doctorold
Star

I tried again, this time using my wife's laptop to try the orbilogin and it worked. I was able to choose access point and so far, all devices seem to work without any authentication messages popping up. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still baffled why it didn't work the old way and still don't understand the difference in an access point but if it works I guess I shouldn't care. The biggest help this gives me is the Satellite unit for the Orbi floods a very dead spot in my house with a signal. I could live with just the Google Box wifi but now we have good coverage
Message 17 of 23
JMU1998
Luminary

I have Google fiber and had to resorting using Orbi in AP mode.

Message 18 of 23
mrogers77
Star

What download and uplaod speeds are you getting using Orbi in AP mode with Google? I have Google as well and had to set up my NIghthawk in AP mode, unfortunaterly Google doesn't allow you to bridge it.

I've been thinking about purchasing an Orbi system, but would like to know what kind of speed I could expect.

The one other issue that had me putting off the decision is I read a lot of reviews concerning internet disconnects. Still see some posts about it so not sure that issue has been resolved.

Message 19 of 23
Doctorold
Star

Of course no one actually gets gigaspeed with Google Fiber, I consistently get 400 to 550 mbps.  I'm not sure we've lost our connection but once or twice in the last two months.  And it was brief.  Orbi works well and spreads the signal throughout our home.  

Message 20 of 23
mrogers77
Star

So that 400-550 is your wireless speed?

Message 21 of 23
Doctorold
Star

That's our internet speed.  And we lose virtually nothing when broadcast through the Orbi.  Frankly, the Orbi is overkill for my house.  It's fairly open and not too large.  With the Google box hard wired to my iMac the speeds are virtually the same, of course, maybe slightly faster but not noticeable.  The Google box used as a router did a pretty good job of covering the house but the Orbi does a bit better.  

Message 22 of 23
mrogers77
Star

I get about 850 wired, but the Google WiFi did extremely poor in my house, so I installed a Nighthawk Router as an AP directly off the Google network box and had to install a Netgear Range Extender as well, there are 2 steel beams in my house and unfortunately the network box is located in the basement so wireless has always been a challenge.

But my wireless is nowhere near what my wired speed is - roughly 100 off the router and 60 off the range extender, so was looking at the Orbi to get better use of the speed from Google.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7