Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backhaul 5GHz vs 2.4GHZ i.e. Speed vs Distance

MiCas
Follower

Backhaul 5GHz vs 2.4GHZ i.e. Speed vs Distance

Netgear declare that “dedicated 5 GHz band with up to 1733 Mbps that is used solely for communication between an Orbi router and satellite”.

My question is how good the 5GHz travels acros walls/floors? Don't we know that 2.4 GHz has better range and travels better acros the walls?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
TheEther
Guru

Re: Backhaul 5GHz vs 2.4GHZ i.e. Speed vs Distance

In general, 2.4 GHz has better range, but in many cases that is more than offset by the superior signaling technology used by 802.11ac, which is only available at 5 GHz.  At distances where 5 GHz can maintain a connection, it will almost always be faster than 2.4 GHz.  The 5 GHz spectrum is also less heavily congested.

Message 2 of 3

Re: Backhaul 5GHz vs 2.4GHZ i.e. Speed vs Distance

@MiCas wrote:

Netgear declare that “dedicated 5 GHz band with up to 1733 Mbps that is used solely for communication between an Orbi router and satellite”.

My question is how good the 5GHz travels acros walls/floors? Don't we know that 2.4 GHz has better range and travels better acros the walls?

the orbi system is designed to work at a set distance from each other and that point is where the 5 gig backhaul is at its best ( its around 12 meters from orbi router to orbi sat  )

if you move the sat further away from the router the signal will degrade and the speed will drop

so location of the sat in relation to the router is the key here to have it work at its best and give the 4000sqft it claims

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7