Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Base (router) and Satellite not connecting in AP mode

GrueMaster
Aspirant

Base (router) and Satellite not connecting in AP mode

My satellite doesn't sync with my Router in AP mode.  First, my setup is a bit unique (power user mode).  I have my Base connected to my home network main unmanaged switch (netgear 1G 16 port unmanaged rack mount, IPFire on an Intel Atom ITX board with dual NIC) in my basement with my servers.  It also will provide wireless access to my back yard and shop (or it should, old wifi did at half the performance capability).  My Satellite is on the main floor at the opposite end of the house on my entertainment center, with 3 devices plugged in (PS3, PS4, Dish Hopper) and 1 cable feeding back to the basement main unmanaged switch (base is also on the main switch). At one point, I found the base unit LED flashing magenta.  Rebooted it and it is now back online.  Since the base is next to my old wifi, I know the signal strength is decent between the two.

Do I need to have the satellite pass through the Base unit to connect?  I can connect to both units via their assigned IP addresses (IPFire is sole DHCP/DNS).  Seems very odd.  All I really want is multiple APs with shared SSID and high performance (old wifi was 802.11g and 100M uplink).

Also, is there a way to configure the satellite without having to go through the base unit?  Neither unit is convenient for manual reset/sync (hands on) once they are in place.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Base (router) and Satellite not connecting in AP mode

Do you have all your orbi units on the same firmware? if the satellite is on a different version than the router it can cause issues. and you can not remotely sync the orbi satellite.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
GrueMaster
Aspirant

Yes, both are running the 2.1.2.16 release (was current on Sunday).  I see a new release was just recently posted that includes a fix for this.  Will try it later this week (copious spare time and all).

Message 3 of 4
GrueMaster
Aspirant

Ok, upgrading both to V2.1.2.18 appears to have resolved this issue, thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7