Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use my cable modem's wifi with orbi?

lmcrawley
Follower

Can I use my cable modem's wifi with orbi?

Yesterday we installed our new orbi system. As recommended in the setup sheet, we disabled the wifi on our Xfinity cable modem. Can we reenable it or will it conflict with the orbi?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Can I use my cable modem's wifi with orbi?

No - the Orbi is a wifi router. Don't make the mistake of using both. You could set your Orbi in AP mode and continue using the routing functions that Xfinity provides you, but personally I don't trust cable companies so I disable the routing functions of my cable modem (turn on bridge mode) and use the Orbi as a router and Wifi provider.

Message 2 of 4
jpng
Aspirant

I have ATT Home Wireless and the MF279 box does not have an option to disable wifi. I would really like to have Orbi. Reading this response it seems I am out of luck to be able to use any of the Wifi Mesh products.

Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jpng

You can use them both just make sure the SSID and password are different on them and you may be able to hide the SSID broadcasting from the router.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7