Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can an Orbi Satellite use another Satellite?

benbac
Tutor

Can an Orbi Sattelite use another Sattelite?

I need to extend the range of a complex layout thick walled multi-floor house where the Router is positioned on the 2nd floor corner. My question is, if a 3rd sattelite is used, does it need to be within range of the router or can it leverage the other sattelite?

Simplified layout:

network-layout.png

Would placing a sattelite in the proposed location work? Can a sattelite use another sattelite to establish connectivity or does it require communication with a router?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
loomis1975
Luminary

As of now, each satellite requires a direct connection with the router (Star topology).  In the future, the option may be there for signal hopping through other satellites back to the router (Mesh topology).  So don't bet on it.  Can't know for certain if the backhaul signal on the 2nd satellite will be able to work reliably directly back to the router through all that structure in the way.  I feel your pain, my house eats wifi signals too.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
loomis1975
Luminary

As of now, each satellite requires a direct connection with the router (Star topology).  In the future, the option may be there for signal hopping through other satellites back to the router (Mesh topology).  So don't bet on it.  Can't know for certain if the backhaul signal on the 2nd satellite will be able to work reliably directly back to the router through all that structure in the way.  I feel your pain, my house eats wifi signals too.

Message 2 of 6
benbac
Tutor

I was under the impression that Orbi's router and sattelites are using a mesh topology.

Message 3 of 6

@benbac wrote:

I was under the impression that Orbi's router and sattelites are using a mesh topology.

nope its star topology

there is a suggestion that they may go to mesh in the future however as seen with other mesh devices this reduces the benefit the orbi currently has

Message 4 of 6
loomis1975
Luminary

If you have the system now, you can take your satellite and move it to the proposed area you want for a 2nd satellite and see if it has a viable connection to the router.  The backhaul signal from router to satellite on the Orbi has the best penetration of any wireless I have tried in my house PERIOD.  Maybe you will get lucky and it will be "good enough".  I will be getting a satellite when they are available seperately, it works good enough right now, but hopefully one more satellite and some firmware updates will make this system something I won't have to mess with for a few years (which is like a life goal of mine).

One thing I do like about this system's satellites is they have 4 lan ports for wired devices, so if you can plant the sat somewhere near a cluster of devices that have ethernet jacks or can have them added with adapters(Wii U, various Android TV devices, etc), you can cut down on some WiFi signals with out extra hardware.

Message 5 of 6
kathykit
Tutor

@loomis1975 wrote:

If you have the system now, you can take your satellite and move it to the proposed area you want for a 2nd satellite and see if it has a viable connection to the router.  The backhaul signal from router to satellite on the Orbi has the best penetration of any wireless I have tried in my house PERIOD.  Maybe you will get lucky and it will be "good enough".  I will be getting a satellite when they are available seperately, it works good enough right now, but hopefully one more satellite and some firmware updates will make this system something I won't have to mess with for a few years (which is like a life goal of mine).

One thing I do like about this system's satellites is they have 4 lan ports for wired devices, so if you can plant the sat somewhere near a cluster of devices that have ethernet jacks or can have them added with adapters(Wii U, various Android TV devices, etc), you can cut down on some WiFi signals with out extra hardware.

Thank you for your suggestion!

I am just buying the new one. (I am still trying to install)

If I success I am going to try this!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7