Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Verify Server Identity

PurplePJ
Guide

Cannot Verify Server Identity

I installed an Orbi and one satellite.  During installation, and since then, I keep getting this error message on my iPhone: Cannot Verify Server Identity, The Identity of “m.hotmail.com” cannot be verified. Button choices are "Details" and "Cancel" neither of which do anything other than make the notification go away only to return again later.

I don't have a hotmail account.  Any ideas?

Pete.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Cannot Verify Server Identity

@PurplePJ wrote:

I installed an Orbi and one satellite.  During installation, and since then, I keep getting this error message on my iPhone: Cannot Verify Server Identity, The Identity of “m.hotmail.com” cannot be verified. Button choices are "Details" and "Cancel" neither of which do anything other than make the notification go away only to return again later.

Can you display the "Details". Take a screen shot. And, attached it?
Save it as an image or a pdf and click on the "Browse" button in the lower left of the screen when creating a post.

Message 2 of 9
PurplePJ
Guide

As mentioned, clicking either "Details" or "Cancel" displays nothing additional.  In either case, the pop-up goes away only to return again later.

Thanks.

Pete.

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, we know that I do not read carefully.  Would sure like to know where the message is coming from. 

Message 4 of 9
PurplePJ
Guide

No worries 🙂 .. I appreciate the attempt to assist!

Message 5 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

It's not the Orbi sending the message. The URLtakes you to the outlook signin screen.

If you don't have an Outlook account, flush your web browser's cache and see if it goes away.

Message 6 of 9
PurplePJ
Guide

It's peculiar that it showed up for the first time ever while installing the Orbi.  I found a post on another site with someone describing the identical scenario.  I'll continue to monitor and see if I can collect more clues but it certainly seems related somehow.

Message 7 of 9
Sssjim7
Aspirant

I installed our ORBI system yesterday and I get the exact same message.  I do not even have a m.hotmail account.  I get that message when I use the iphone ORBI app... no way to get rid of it... and no details appear when you hit the details button.

Very annoying... it makes me think the system is being hacked or something else is wrong... very discerning...

Jim

Message 8 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

@PurplePJ wrote:

I don't have a hotmail account.  Any ideas?

Pete.

Upon furter searching it has nothing to do with OPrbi and is an IOS update error, happening on many I devices. 

If you are going to orbilogin.com, since there is no certificate, it may be generating it there, but it shouldn't anywhere else. 

When your iPhone prompts you with, “cannot verify server identity” error, it's telling you that the mail server's certificate is fake. In short, this error occurs due to your iPhone's strict verification of your mail server certificates.

First solution: Quit and restart the Mail app.

Second solution: Soft reset/reboot the iPhone

Third solution: Remove your email account then add it back

Fourth solution: Update iOS and carrier settings

Fifth solution: Reset network settings

Last resort: Factory reset/master reset

Also, remove any microsoft product apps like word, etc and reload. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7