Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot achieve fiber speeds RBR50 with Centrylink Fiber

lasttime
Aspirant

Cannot achieve fiber speeds RBR50 with Centrylink Fiber

Hello,

With the C4000gx and a direct connection i get full gigabit speed (900+ up and down).

With the Orbi in AP mode and connected to the C4000gx, I get full gigabit speed from the speed test directly from the Orbi router. Thus, I know that the Orbi router can handle the speed.

However, when I remove the C4000gx and directly connect the Orbi to the fiber, I get half to 1/3rd the speeds I was getting. Less than 400up, and maybe 300 down. Is there a way to get the Orbi to get the speeds from fiber, or is it too slow to handle being both the modem and the router at the same time? 

I have tried cloning the C4000gx mac to see if that improved things, it did not. Everything else is off (no QOS and no traffic meter). VLAN is setup as VLAN tag group with the VLAN Tag as set by centurylink and the priorty is set to 0.

Any suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Re: Cannot achieve fiber speeds RBR50 with Centrylink Fiber

@lasttime wrote:

With the C4000gx ...

What's that? Not something that Netgear makes,

What Internet service do you have? Fibre can mean anything. All Internet comes down a fibre.

If the C4000gx is a modem/router, then the RBR50, a standard router, can't replace it.

The usual strategy in such circumstances is to work out how to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode.

Message 2 of 15
Mikey94025
Hero

@lasttime wrote:

However, when I remove the C4000gx and directly connect the Orbi to the fiber, I get half to 1/3rd the speeds I was getting. Less than 400up, and maybe 300 down. Is there a way to get the Orbi to get the speeds from fiber, or is it too slow to handle being both the modem and the router at the same time? 

It sounds like this C4000gx is your router and you're asking if you can run the Orbi instead for routing (you don't seem to need a mode).  The Orbi should, many of us use our Orbi as the router and get close to gigabit speeds (wired).

Does this FAQ help?  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Your ISP modem/ONT as a built in router already,

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

I would try option #3...

@lasttime wrote:

Hello,

With the C4000gx and a direct connection i get full gigabit speed (900+ up and down).

With the Orbi in AP mode and connected to the C4000gx, I get full gigabit speed from the speed test directly from the Orbi router. Thus, I know that the Orbi router can handle the speed.

I have tried cloning the C4000gx mac to see if that improved things, it did not. Everything else is off (no QOS and no traffic meter). VLAN is setup as VLAN tag group with the VLAN Tag as set by centurylink and the priorty is set to 0.

Any suggestions?

Message 4 of 15
lasttime
Aspirant

@Mikey94025- I was using the speedtest from the setup page on the Orbi. When in AP mode connected to the C4000gx I was getting at gigabit speed. When I had it in bridge mode I got the lower speeds and when I removed the centurylink router (the C4000gx) I got the lower speeds. I did test the speeds from the device, but I got wifi speeds (lower than what I was seeing when in AP mode).

@FURRYe38I am running V2.5.1.16. I don't have a double NAT problem (the type of connection I am trying is only the Orbi to fiber). Your three options, I have done 1 and 3 but that excludes using the functions on the Orbi router I am looking for (use of the app, use of parental controls etc). I could try option 2, but I don't see why that would get me better speeds than removing the centurylink router entirely. 

My real question is if anyone has run the RBR50 and gotten gigabit speeds. I had seen some inferences on the boards that a consumer router like this can't do the VLAN tagging and router functions at such speeds.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 15
lasttime
Aspirant

The C4000gx is removed = no double NAT.

C4000gx + Orbi in AP mode = no double NAT.

I will check out your other links and see what I can achieve. Thanks!

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would power off the Fiber unit when you don't have the C4000gx online then reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Besure to not enable Armor, Circle, QoS speed test or Traffic Meter on the RBR when the setup wizard completes. Wire connect a pc to the RBR and speed test. 

Make sure your PC is connecting at 1000Mpbs to the RBR. 

Message 8 of 15
lasttime
Aspirant

I made all the changes, and the direct wire speeds are 950 mbps down, but I am only getting 150mbs up. This is a direct connection to the router. I should be getting +900mbps on both up and down streams. Just before I removed the Centurylink provided router, I was getting those speeds, so the problem is not the connection, but the Orbi Router or the way that I have it configured.

Message 9 of 15
lasttime
Aspirant

To be clear, I reset the RBR50 to factory mode --  I don't have traffic meter, circle or armor setup. It is the default configuration, except for the PPOE and VLAN settings as set by Centurylink.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible there maybe a PPPoE speed issues on the up on Orbi. I know the Orbi can handle near 900Mpbs on the down. 

Something to try and see, put the ISP router back online as the main host router, configured the RBR for AP mode. Then check wired speed UP...do you still see same results? If not, then there is probably a PPPoE speed issue on the Orbi FW when in router mode. 

Message 11 of 15
lasttime
Aspirant

Yes, that's the problem. So there is no solution? Orbi just can't handle the speed?

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So the problem happens in AP mode as well? 

Message 13 of 15
lasttime
Aspirant

In AP mode I get the advertised speeds. But, in AP mode, its not doing any of the router work.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so AP mode works. Seems like this is a PPPoE FW issue on the RBR in Router mode. 

I would make contact with NG support about this to see if there is anything that can be done.

@Blanca_O 

Good Luck. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7