Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chromecast and plex server with Orbi. Multicast IGMP proxy?

OrbiMan
Luminary

Chromecast and plex server with Orbi. Multicast IGMP proxy?

Hello guys I am happy with my Orbi, however since install I noticed a little quirk with my chromecast and plex.  Sometime my android phone would not be able to connect to chromecast and sometime not able to find my plex server.  However I noticed if I cycle my wireless on the phone on and off most of the time it come back, sometime I have to power cycle the chromecast but very rarely.  Anyone have this behavior?   Also does the option IGMP proxy is presently dissable on orbi by default, does this have to do with anything?  and what is it for, I do not seems to understand the wikipedia explaination.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
OrbiMan
Luminary

Re: Chromecast and plex server with Orbi. Multicast IGMP proxy?

As for me it seems to be a problem of too much signal. I cluster the Orbi router and satellite too close to each other, since I spread them out more to the edges of my house the problem went away.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Orbiman

You want to have that disabled have you tried to reserve the Ip address of the chromcast or the phone?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
MortalWombat
Aspirant

I have the same issue. How do you do this?

Message 3 of 5
madbrain
Luminary

I have 15 Chromecast Audio and 1 Chromecast Ultra. They kept disappearing from the network on my phone also.

I switched off the Wifi, bought an ethernet interface for each of the CCA, and used AV1200 powerline adapters. Now all is well.

Unfortunately, the Chromecasts just don't play well with wifi mesh. I even tried a Velop on sunday - same exact issue. It's much more problematic when you have a bunch of Chromecast audio in a group and suddenly a few disappear. That means you can no longer control the volume or stop casting to those devices (but they keep streaming!).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Chromecast-Audio-and-AP-Isolation-problem/td-p/1389027

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/BlfyzpS3MAE;context-place=topicsearchin/ch...

I'm using Wemo switches to turn the amps on/off for all 15 zones, and having problems with that too - they keep randomly dropping off the Orbi network, just like the Chromecast. They do come back eventually. But it's very annoying when you want to turn things on or off and you can't because your phone can no longer see the "smart" plug. Wish there were smart plugs with ethernet instead, but I could not find any.

Message 4 of 5
OrbiMan
Luminary

As for me it seems to be a problem of too much signal. I cluster the Orbi router and satellite too close to each other, since I spread them out more to the edges of my house the problem went away.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7