Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cisco SPA525G IP Phone

Fairorth
Aspirant

Cisco SPA525G IP Phone

Hello,

Just got my new Orbi system set up and running and results are fantastic so far. I have the Orbi router and 1 satellite. I have many devices connected, both to the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band.

I have a Cisco IP Phone, model SPA525G I am trying to connect to the wireless WiFi. The network is visible to the phone but when I configure it with the password it is not able to connect. Naturally I have tried several times to insure that I have the correct password and security method set up (WPA2-PSK).

Has anyone sucessfully used this IP phone in an Orbi WiFi environment and could you please let me know if there were any configuration or setup changes you needed to make (or either the phone or the Orbi) to get it working.

Thank you very much in advance!

Marc

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Cisco SPA525G IP Phone

Wow.  What a User Guide!

I am guessing that you connected the phone with ethernet first just to verify that it works and update firmware if there is new firmware.  Have you tried the WPS connection?

Message 2 of 7
Fairorth
Aspirant

Thank you CrimpOn!

Not sure if my note qualified as a User Guide but I appreciate the thought no matter what!!

No, I actually didn't connect it directly. I had the phone working for a long time over my existing WiFi, but yesterday I installed the Orbi. I used to have an Arris 1602 cable modem and then a WiFi router provided by Spectrum. I picked up the Orbi, and ditched the Spectrum WiFi, connecting my Orbi router to the Arris. I am using it in router mode but not really doing anything special with Orbi as a router. I wonder if AP mode might be a solution?

No, I didn't try WPS either! Honestly, I didn't realize the Orbi had that feature. I configured the SSID and profile manually on the phone and attempted to connect to it, but the connection (authentication?) failed.

Thanks again for the reply!

Marc

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Every time I replace a WiFi router, I use the exact same SSID and password on the new one, so that my devices do not have to be reconfigured.  Did you elect to reconfigure everything?

Message 4 of 7
Fairorth
Aspirant

Yes, sadly(?) I did. I renamed my SSID ORBIxxx  without really thinking through the consequences ....

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

If the WPS button doesn't work, maybe there is something in the "real" User Guide that will help:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/csbpipp/ip_phones/user/guide/525g_spcp_user_... 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Fairorth wrote:

Yes, sadly(?) I did. I renamed my SSID ORBIxxx  without really thinking through the consequences ....

Is that ORBI and three digits?  Some people on the forum have confused the "I" in "ORBI" with a numeral "1".  My (old) Orbi had a defalt of ORBI+two digits, not three.  I believe they thought the odds of there being 99 Orbi's close enough to interfere was close to zero.  With three digit numbers, it would be very long odds indeed.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7