Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting Smart Devices that are 2.4

tydeyo
Follower

Connecting Smart Devices that are 2.4

I am trying to connect some "smart devices" like smart outlets, LaCrosse weather station and samsung dryer that need to connect with 2.4 wifi but my iPhone connects to 5 wifi. Does anyone know how to hook these things up? How can I change the connection to my wifi to 2.4 so I can connect to my devices???

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Connecting Smart Devices that are 2.4

A common/popular/simple suggestion that works for many:

1. Disable 5GHz SSID broadcast
  2. Tell iPhone to forget exsiting WiFi/SSID
  3. Reconnect iPhone to WiFi and verify that it's connected to 2.4GHz
  4. Setup up all your 2.4GHz devices
  5. Enable 5GHz SSID broadcast

Check out this thread for more details.  If all else fails, you can try this suggestion.

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@tydeyo wrote:

I am trying to connect some "smart devices" like smart outlets, LaCrosse weather station and samsung dryer that need to connect with 2.4 wifi but my iPhone connects to 5 wifi. Does anyone know how to hook these things up? How can I change the connection to my wifi to 2.4 so I can connect to my devices???

@SW_is correct.  BUT WAIT.  Is there "a problem" in the first place?  Manufacturers emphasize in BOLD PRINT that 2.4G network is "required".  That is like saying, "Requires 2 AA batteries."  If you own only C cell batteries, this thing cannot work!!!  If you bought something that said this, would you ask, "How can I hide all my C cell batteries?  This thing only uses AA batteries.  Oh, goodness!!!"  The Orbi provides 2.4G WiFi.  It has what the device needs.

My advice is, "First install the app and try it."  I have a whole box full of smart plugs that are "2.4G only", and all but one of them connected just fine when my phone was connected to the Orbi at 5G.  Only one plug required me to do the work around that @SW_ described, and it worked fine.  p.s.  That one device that had defective software and I had to use the work around, I will NEVER buy another product from that company.  NEVER.

Message 3 of 7
requ_moz
Aspirant

Hi there,
I've seen that you had problems connecting your LaCrosse weather station to 2.4 GHz. I was in the same situation, but after couple of hours I have find the solution. People are talking about splitting the band in 2 and or other complicated things that make you give up. The Orbi is transmitting both signals/band at the same time and the devices are able to connect to it. In our situation the metro station and your cell phone have to be on the same band. In order to make your phone to connect to your 2.4ghz you have to be as far as you can from your router in order to force the phone to connect to 2.4 GHz which is a more stable and reaches further locations.
Therefore after getting a decent signal from your router, being again far away from it you are going to be able to pair with your station using the LaCrosse app. Easy as that.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear provides a simple mechanism to accomplish this:

Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
Uncheck the box, "Broadcast SSID on 5G"
Click "Apply"
All devices that are currently connected to the Orbi will remain connected.
On the smartphone, go to wireless settings and "forget" the Orbi SSID
Search for available WiFi networks. Select the Orbi WiFi. Enter the password. and connect.
If you are curious about whether the smartphone is actually connected at 2.4G, you have to wait a few minutes, because the "Attached Devices" display takes a while to update.
Open the app and set up the 2.4G device.
Once the device is connected and working as it should, reverse the steps.
Check the "Broadcast" box and click "Apply"
"Forget" the Orbi WiFi. Search. Enter password. Connect.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-20-cannot-connect-Swann-Camera/m-p/1822475/highlight/true...

@requ_moz wrote:
Hi there,
I've seen that you had problems connecting your LaCrosse weather station to 2.4 GHz. I was in the same situation, but after couple of hours I have find the solution. People are talking about splitting the band in 2 and or other complicated things that make you give up. The Orbi is transmitting both signals/band at the same time and the devices are able to connect to it. In our situation the metro station and your cell phone have to be on the same band. In order to make your phone to connect to your 2.4ghz you have to be as far as you can from your router in order to force the phone to connect to 2.4 GHz which is a more stable and reaches further locations.
Therefore after getting a decent signal from your router, being again far away from it you are going to be able to pair with your station using the LaCrosse app. Easy as that.

Message 5 of 7
requ_moz
Aspirant

I forgot to mention that when you do this press +- for 3 sec on your weather station to activate the wifi 😉
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Home-Wifi-amp-LA-Crosse-Weather-Station-Alarm-Clock-2-4GH...

@requ_moz wrote:
I forgot to mention that when you do this press +- for 3 sec on your weather station to activate the wifi 😉

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7