Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Daisy chain ethernet backhaul?

RiverCityNet
Aspirant

Daisy chain ethernet backhaul?

I have the RBK50 (RBR50 + 2 RBS50s) plus another RBS50, for a total of 3 satellies. The setup is installed in an old house with thick walls, which pretty much kills the wifi backhaul.

I'd like to use Ethernet for backhaul, but it's NOT practical to make a "home run" back to the router from each satellite. So, can I just connect the satellite to the next in line, daisy chain style:

Sat ===> Sat ===> Sat ==> Router

Also, can I mix Ethernet and wifi backhaul? Anything else I should know/consider about this?

Thanks in advance... 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Daisy chain ethernet backhaul?

The feature Daisy Chain in the routers UI should be disabled, however yes you should be able to wire Daisy chaing satellites I believe. You can try this out while in the same room as the router with the two statellites to see if it works for you...

You can have mixed connected satellites.

For wired back haul:
Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

@RiverCityNet wrote:

I have the RBK50 (RBR50 + 2 RBS50s) plus another RBS50, for a total of 3 satellies. The setup is installed in an old house with thick walls, which pretty much kills the wifi backhaul.

I'd like to use Ethernet for backhaul, but it's NOT practical to make a "home run" back to the router from each satellite. So, can I just connect the satellite to the next in line, daisy chain style:

Also, can I mix Ethernet and wifi backhaul? Anything else I should know/consider about this?

Thanks in advance... 

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@RiverCityNet wrote:

You should be able to have Daisy Chained satellites with wired backhaul, and theoritically you should be able to mix wired with wireless backhaul.

BUT,... In the current software it seems that there is a bug that causes issues when using Daisy Chain in combination with wired and wireless backhaul. Exactly the use case that you are asking about 🙂

So, in summary, for now, you can use daisy chained all-wired or all-wireless backhaul but you can't mix them, this is ONLY until the current issue is solved in the Orbi software.

For reference: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/NETGEAR-Orbi-AC3000-satellite-LAN-ports-stopped-working/m-p/16...

Message 3 of 6
RiverCityNet
Aspirant

Thank you for that valuable info (and warning). I had heard about some issues in the current Software rev - this explanation will save me from time-consuming troubleshooting!
Message 4 of 6
RiverCityNet
Aspirant

Thanks. I would have thought the router would handle IP allocation, but this process makes sense. Are reservations assigned from the main admin page?
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You can find IP address reservations under Advanced Tab/Setup/LAN Setup. Select ADD and you'll see a list of devices that you can add a reservation too.  IP reservations are handy to keep devices getting same IP address when they get connected. 

@RiverCityNet wrote:
Thanks. I would have thought the router would handle IP allocation, but this process makes sense. Are reservations assigned from the main admin page?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7