Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet connection for second satellite

tiepa
Aspirant

Ethernet connection for second satellite

hello

is it possible to have the orbi router connected to the internet then the 1st satellite connected via the dedicated wifi signal then a third router/satellite connected to that satellite via a ethernet cable beaming out the same wifi ?

i have a satelite at the end of the house but the wifi cant get through the foil backed insulation into my garage but i have a ethernet cable already running from house to garage.

please help

thanks

paul

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
Streak2
Master

Re: Ethernet connection for second satellite

No not currently possible.

However the latest firmware does allow for daisy chain connectivity. So if you are able to place the last satellite close enough to the first satellite it may just get through.

Message 2 of 7
tiepa
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply
I will certainly try that .
Another question I don’t understand why you can’t have the router with internet in and out ports wireless connection to the satilite with internet ont ports cable connection to a 3rd unit ( a router model ) with internet in port . Is the internet in connection on the 3rd not the same as the first router ?

Sorry but that seems logical to me .

Kind regards

Tiepa

Message 3 of 7
Streak2
Master

Once your Orbi is properly set up, then every ethernet port is internet enabled. ie. you can connect any device to any port on the router or satellite.

It's just that you can't link Orbi devices via cable, they have to be sync'd via wireless.

Message 4 of 7
tiepa
Aspirant

Hi thanks again for the reply

Ok cool so I could as a solution connect a third party router to end of my Ethernet cable ? To create another Wi-fi ?

I will leave you be after this question I promise

Thanks
Tiepa
Message 5 of 7
Streak2
Master

Yes. You could run a cable from the nearest ethernet port (coud be the nearest satellite) to the garage and then plug in a wireless device there.

You could also try a powerline adapter running the signal via the mains.

So, ethernet from satellite to one end of adapter plugged into the mains.

Other end of adapter plugged into power outlet in the garage.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/PLP2000.aspx

Message 6 of 7
tiepa
Aspirant

fantastic problem solved.

although would be nice to have the wired ethernet connection to another orbi for the true

seemless experience. hopefully in the near future.

thanks again for your help on this

tiepa

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7