Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Everything works...except Netflix (Orbi RBR50 v2)

mr_taint
Aspirant

Everything works...except Netflix (Orbi RBR50 v2)

I'm an IT Professional, and my buddy hit me up the other day having an issue with his new home WiFi setup.  Turns out he got an RBR50 v2, and a Satellite.

Everything working just great -- no problems.  Except one.  Netflix won't work.  Throws error:

tvq-st-106

In his case, this is on any of several Gen 2 Amazon fire sticks that he has in his house.

I tried to troubleshoot it with him the other day, to no avail, and went over there today, and left unsuccessful.

Everything else works fine, and without issue, only Netflix giving him grief.  I tested on my laptop on the WiFi -- no dice.  The site loads, but none of the images do, and sometimes you can get a video to start, but it always craps out pretty quickly.

I hooked up wired to his Orbi -- same thing.  I hooked up straight to his modem, and it worked fine, everything loaded as expected.  What's even weirder though, is I tried DMZ'ing one of his Fire sticks, and it still doesn't work.  The "Armor" or whatever it's called security is disabled.  I tried several different DNS options, but none of them made a difference going through the router.

I also tried:

Toggling WMM on and off

IPV6 set to disabled

Turned off DoS attack protection

Guest network is diabled, checking the access control and all devices are set to allowed. uPnP is on, and again, literally everything else internet related works fine.  (Firesticks stream other video just fine, PS4's work and can play online, Websites load normally, etc.)

FWIW he's using an Arris SB8200 (also new) and his ISP is WOW! in SE Michigan.  He said he factory reset it the other day (I ran out of time today and didn't have a chance to try this myself).

I'm just at a total loss.  I thought it could be some weird IPv6 issue but again, that reports as disabled in the only IPV6 menu I could find.  He's on the latest firmware (AFAIK -- it ends in .16 and looked to be the same as the most current one on the Netgear site, up since April).

Orbi correctly ID's his Amazon Firesticks, and they're designated as media streaming devices.  Parental controls are disabled, all blocking is turned off, etc.

Anybody have any ideas?  I'm at a complete and utter loss for ideas.  I even talked to my boss, because I know he's set up a few of these things, and he said only thing he's ever had an issue with was getting Satellite's recognized.  Again, I was operating 10 ft. from the main Orbi router, and tried on wireless, wired, and straight from modem.  Only worked from the modem, although after I started a Netflix show on the modem, I unplugged my wired connection to it, reverted to WiFi, and it was able to continue playing -- apparently without issue.

Again, I just have no clue what the issue could be.  It smells like DNS, but the DNS settings that worked straight from the modem are what's currently the setting on the router for DHCP (from WOW!), and I also tried adding in ye old 8.8.8.8 and that made no differnce.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Everything works...except Netflix (Orbi RBR50 v2)

Regarding the Firesticks, do all the other apps work, but just no Netflix?

Is your friend using WOW's DNS servers or third party?

If everythin is working except Netflix, it would point to a Netflix issue. 

Check this page for a possible solution:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/51935

Message 2 of 16
mr_taint
Aspirant

Yes, all other apps working.

Tried WOW DNS & 3rd party -- no difference.

Like I said (sorry if I wasn't clear enough) -- I tried on my laptop as well.  Same thing, wouldn't load images -- literally shows all the links, and text, etc, but just no images.  The top of the main page displays preview video but no other thumbnails show up.  More importantly, works when I go around the router (straight to modem) -- so the problem is with the Orbi one way or another.

Unfortunately I've very much already seen the link you shared -- for fire sticks, it just suggests "make sure you're connected to the internet" and "restart your home network" (tragically laughable on both unfotunately).

Oh one thing I did forget to mention -- running the network test through the Netflix app on firestick results in all passing (green checkmarks).  

Very confusing.  Also tried uninstalling/reinstalling Netflix on the firestick (even though symptoms are exhibited on totally different types of devices, e.g. my laptop), clearing data, clearing cache, etc.

A real head scratcher.

Message 3 of 16
tucsontico
Virtuoso

@mr_taint wrote:

Yes, all other apps working.

Tried WOW DNS & 3rd party -- no difference.

Like I said (sorry if I wasn't clear enough) -- I tried on my laptop as well.  Same thing, wouldn't load images -- literally shows all the links, and text, etc, but just no images.  The top of the main page displays preview video but no other thumbnails show up.  More importantly, works when I go around the router (straight to modem) -- so the problem is with the Orbi one way or another.

Unfortunately I've very much already seen the link you shared -- for fire sticks, it just suggests "make sure you're connected to the internet" and "restart your home network" (tragically laughable on both unfotunately).

Oh one thing I did forget to mention -- running the network test through the Netflix app on firestick results in all passing (green checkmarks).  

Very confusing.  Also tried uninstalling/reinstalling Netflix on the firestick (even though symptoms are exhibited on totally different types of devices, e.g. my laptop), clearing data, clearing cache, etc.

A real head scratcher.

Hmmm. This is very weird. I'm not an IT guy so if I make a suggestion that you've already tried excuse my novice approach:

1) Are you 100% certain that the satellite and router have the exact same firmware version? (2.5.1.16 is most recent "well known" firmware but another has been recently released.) This may not be the issue but I've seen very stange things happen if the router and satellite aren't on the same firmware.

2) Have you done a factory reset and re-initialize the system from scratch? (I know you shouldn't have to do this but it seems to clear up similar issues.)

3) If the ORBI is new, it might be bad hardware. Hopefully under warranty.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. 

Message 4 of 16
mr_taint
Aspirant

Yes, they're definitely on matching firmware.

I didn't personally factory reset, but my friend swore up and down he did (it's on my list of to-do's if this doesn't "solve itself")

It is new, and bad hardware definitely crossed my mind, but what could be bad hardware-wise that causes everything but netflix to work?  Certainly nothing that I could think of.

In fact I had assumed it was some sort of an issue relating to the Fire sticks, but the fact that it also didn't work on my laptop (including wired to the router) continue to puzzle.  Just doesn't make sense.

Message 5 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

There is an aweful lot of complaints on the NET about this error.

Who is your ISP and what equipment did they provide?
What device is your Orbi router connected to?
Do you have any other Firesticks, another laptop or a smart TV with Neflix on it that you can test. I'm thinking video driver, or maybe a blocked port.or a specific version of Netflix. 

I have an RBK53V2 system running on WOW and Netflix running off 3 different firesticks (Gen1, Gen2 and he latest 4k), works flawlessly.

Message 6 of 16
mr_taint
Aspirant

His ISP is WOW! and in this case they provided nothing -- he bought a new modem (he was previously renting -- he bought a SB8200).

Per your second quesiton "What device is your Orbi Router connected to?" -- are you asking about the modem?  As mentioned above, Arris SB8200.

My buddy has several firesticks, and they all exhibit the same symptoms (they are all gen2 firesticks).  Also tested on wired and wireless PC's in his environment -- same problem on all.  Additionally, one of the devices I tested on (my laptop) I hooked directly to modem (SB8200 has two ports so it was side by side) and Netflix worked flawlessly.  Furthermore, once it was streaming a video successfully, I physically disconnected the cable, and swapped over to the WiFi (via ORBI, hooked up to the other port on the same modem), and it continued to play just fine (including much further ahead in the episode, and even the next episode).

^^This led me to believe that it was a DNS issue, but I confirmed the DNS servers were the same on both the WiFi and straight from the modem.

Again, consumer grade stuff isn't really what I'm used to dealing with, especially stuff aimed @ user-friendliness, but I'm totally mystified by this.  The only other thing I thought was that digging through the logs it seemed to ID a LOT of things as DoS attacks, and was thinking it was incorrectly ID'ing some netflix servers as a threat (again, it loads the CSS and everything for the Netflix site, just not the thumbnails or videos), however I also tried disabling the anti-DoS protection and that made no difference (all other security/etc stuff is disabled, all devices are set to allow, and no services are blocked, uPnP is on, etc.).

In so much as I didn't setup this network myself, I'm wondering if my buddy did something silly, but at every turn, everything seemed configured correctly to me -- and that's backed up by the fact that literally every other thing works perfectly.  Every site, every app, streaming video, playing games, etc. etc.  Not sure what on earth the issue could be.  

His SSID is different than his old one, his old hardware (Eero I came to find out) is all disconnected, the issue exists on wired and wireless, multiple devices and types of devices, and is isolate to just netflix.  Insanely strange.

Message 7 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

Since you are an IT professional, then you know logically speaking if every other device you can find on his system is working flawlessly and the only devices collectively are devices supporting Netflix, then it is a Netflix issue. Do you have access to a 4k Firestick, or again do you have a smart TV with a Netflix app on it you can use to test? That error code is definitely a bandwidth issue.

I'm battling with them right now with several customers having issues with streaming any movie or TV show in Dolby Vision. Either the screen turns red, purple, green, yellow or blue. Netflix claims it's the device and the device manufacturers claim it is the version of Netflix. This is happening on portable devices as well as Smart 4k TVs. So I experimented on my Android box and downloaded and installed early to new version of Netflix and determined it is the version of Netflix. They are still claiming it is the device. 

Message 8 of 16
mr_taint
Aspirant

The issue is with the Orbi. Netflix fails in the same way on at least 4 totally different types of devices when routed through Orbi. Straight from modem there are no issues.

It's not localized to a single device or even class of devices. In short, the problem makes literally no sense.
Message 9 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

@mr_taint wrote:
The issue is with the Orbi. Netflix fails in the same way on at least 4 totally different types of devices when routed through Orbi. Straight from modem there are no issues.

It's not localized to a single device or even class of devices. In short, the problem makes literally no sense.

Exactly, then you may have a defective Orbi router, which I doubt, or some device or setting is blocking ONLY Netflix.

The error message specifically points to connectivity.

I'm not trying to argue, however, I have installed too many to count Orbi systems. Never once have I had a Netflix issue, where it was the Orbi's fault. 

And again, logically speaking, if every device you have or test, works flawlessly with the Orbi system, and even the Firestick or laptop or any other device, that works flawlessly with the Orbi system, with the exception of the Netflix app, it has to be the Netflix app.

I didn't see these questions asked:

Is this U.S. based Netflix account?

Does the user have a registered Netflix account, and is logging in correctly, and is not exceeding the device connection limits?

Message 10 of 16
mr_taint
Aspirant

US based account, yes, and I'm sure it's not an account issue because same issue presented on my laptop on MY netflix account.

I'm going to have to get back over there and just factory reset the Orbi and build it back up. I wonder if a device on his network is creating an issue maybe.
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-a-la-faq.65224/
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

@mr_taint wrote:
US based account, yes, and I'm sure it's not an account issue because same issue presented on my laptop on MY netflix account.

I'm going to have to get back over there and just factory reset the Orbi and build it back up. I wonder if a device on his network is creating an issue maybe.

Message 12 of 16
mr_taint
Aspirant

Many thanks for this suggestion -- I didn't know there was any alternate FW options for the Orbi stuff, so this will definitely be my plan B! (because I assume it's not as user friendly for my buddy)
Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Voxels FW is user friendly. The UI is the same. Better looking icons are seen in his FW. 

Let us know how it goes. 

@mr_taint wrote:
Many thanks for this suggestion -- I didn't know there was any alternate FW options for the Orbi stuff, so this will definitely be my plan B! (because I assume it's not as user friendly for my buddy)

Message 14 of 16
kaotica79
Aspirant

Curious if this was ever resolved. I am actually having the same exact issue, but with an Eero system. Oddly enough, I am also a Wow subscriber but have my own modem (cm1200). Everything works except for Netflix and the issue just started 4 days ago. Nothing has changed on my end and I was able to determine the issue lies with the Eero as when I bypass it and hardwire in through the modem, it works fine again. Please let me know if you ever found a solution to this.
Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit the Eero mfr support site and community for help and information regarding there product. Contact Netlix support as well for help and information regarding there app. 

@kaotica79 wrote:
Curious if this was ever resolved. I am actually having the same exact issue, but with an Eero system. Oddly enough, I am also a Wow subscriber but have my own modem (cm1200). Everything works except for Netflix and the issue just started 4 days ago. Nothing has changed on my end and I was able to determine the issue lies with the Eero as when I bypass it and hardwire in through the modem, it works fine again. Please let me know if you ever found a solution to this.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7