Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

DUSTOFF2
Guide

Ok awesome my sipped is,back up and consistent. I switched to AP mode and checked the two boxed where beam bending is located. I know,get well over 100 megs/s everywhere in my house

Message 101 of 810
RonV42
Luminary

So far so good with this firmware. I did a factory reset a while back when I was having all the mobile deviice disconnect issues which didn't solve it but after the upgrade to 1.11.0.20 the mobile device issue went away.  Now in 1.12.0.18 everthing still seems to be stable.  I have a tasker task on two android devices to monitor wifi connects and disconnects and neither of them are seeing any disconnect isssues.

I did notice that a few options now have been removed such as power configuration for wifi.  I used to keep my power at about 50% so the neighborhood wouldn't be seing my routers but that setting is gone.  I assume it had effects on backhaul performace and stability.

Also having a USB port that can do something is better than nothing.  The usb port can now share printers.  I do wish they would get around to making it mass storage capabile.  

Message 102 of 810
Replevin
Star

Like many others, I have the following problem.  Firmware auto-updated and I lost the satellite.  The satellite shows as a connected device, but does not operate as a satellite.  Factory-reset everything and still doesn't work.  I should note that after factory-resetting, the satellite does initially install as a satellite, but when I unplug it, to relocate the unit, it reverts back to a connected device.  

I have been able to solve the issue (temporarily) by manually reverting the satellite back to 1.11.02.20.  I've left the firmware on the router at 1.12.0.18.  The problem, of course, is that the satellite only works for a while because it then auto-updates to the new firmware and the pooch is screwed once again.  

Question - Is there any way to prevent the satellite from auto-updating the firmware?

Message 103 of 810
Loxley
Guide

WARNING TO SONOS USERS :  V1.12.0.18 update resulted in Sonos not being able to connect to Boost that is connected to Orbi router by ethernet.  Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a cure?  In the meantime, I have manually re-installed V1.11.0.20 and Sonos now works again.

Similar to Replevin, I would like to know if there is any way to prevent the router and satellite from auto-updating?

Message 104 of 810
Butch1326
Star

To stop the Orbi from installing the updated firmware automatically follow the steps below.  

Perform these step after you downgraded the firmware to a prior release.

1) Launch your favorite web browser and go to <Router IP Address>/debug.htm

2) Login <username> <password> when prompted

3) Check Enable Telnet

4) Start a Telnet session.  I use Putty.  Enter the <Router IP Address> Telnet is using port 23

5) You can skip this step if you like.  I am calling it out for illustration purposes only...  

Type nvram show | grep auto_* <ENTER>

You will see a list similar to this:

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep auto_
vpn_access_mode=auto
wl_auto_antenna=1
set_auto_agreement=0
orbi_auto_upgrade=1
ipv6_autoConfig_dns_assign=0
ipv6_autoConfig_dns1=
ipv6_autoConfig_dns2=
upnp_enable_autoScan=0
ipv6_auto_dns_assign=0
bas_auto_conn_flag=0
orbi_auto_upg=0
autofw_port0=
ipv6_auto_dns1=
ipv6_auto_dns2=
qos_auto_bandwidth=0
green_enable_autorefresh_status=0
enable_dev_auto_refresh=1
wl_rate=auto
auto_check_for_upgrade=1
auto_update=1
root@RBR50:/# root@RBR50:/#

The 3 configurations highlighted above you will want to update the value from =1 to =0

orbi_auto_upgrade=1

auto_check_for_upgrade=1
auto_update=1

6) To update run the following commands:

nvram set orbi_auto_upgrade=0  <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_check_for_upgrade=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_update=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

7) Type the following commands to confirm the 3 configurations are set to =0

nvram show | grep orbi_auto_upgrade <ENTER>

nvram show | grep auto_check_for_upgrade <ENTER>

nvram show | grep auto_update <ENTER>

😎 After you confirmed the 3 configuration values are set to =0 then type nvram commit <ENTER> (this step will save the changes)

9) Type exit to terminate the telnet session

10) Go back to the <Router IP Address>/debug.htm web page and uncheck Enable Telnet

Please note within a day or so the Orbi will know there is an updated firmware release available but it will not automatically install it.  If you do go back into a Telnet session after the Orbi knows there is an updated firmware release the configuration orbi_auto_upgrade will have a value greater than 1.  That is okay.  Do not change the value back to =0

Message 105 of 810
Doug-48051
Luminary

My Sonos is funtioning good with Orbi, but I am not using the boost.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 106 of 810
Stkasm
Apprentice

@Loxley wrote:

WARNING TO SONOS USERS :  V1.12.0.18 update resulted in Sonos not being able to connect to Boost that is connected to Orbi router by ethernet.  Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a cure?  In the meantime, I have manually re-installed V1.11.0.20 and Sonos now works again.

Similar to Replevin, I would like to know if there is any way to prevent the router and satellite from auto-updating?

Out of curiousity... Why Boost? Sonos doesn't really recommend it anymore. Can't you just use Orbi network?

Message 107 of 810
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

Personally, disabling updates should always be an option. If you disable it, I will find a way to block it.

But until the bugs are worked out it is absurd to remove that feature
Message 108 of 810

Netgear support told me that if you do a manual update it will not auto update after that. That has been true for me, I manually downgraded both the satellite and router to 1.11.0.20 and it has not auto updated so far the last 4 days. I just get the message when I log into the router that an update is available.

Optionally go to Advanced, Security, Block sites and add a block for downloads.netgear.com.

Message 109 of 810
st_shaw
Master

@Stkasm wrote:

Out of curiousity... Why Boost? Sonos doesn't really recommend it anymore. Can't you just use Orbi network?

Ok. I'm curious.  Where do you see this recommendation from Sonos?  I have used Sonos' proprietary mesh network for years, and it works  exceedingly well.  (A boost is not actually required, as all speakers can function as a mesh node.)

Message 110 of 810
Stkasm
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

@Stkasm wrote:

Ok. I'm curious.  Where do you see this recommendation from Sonos?  I have used Sonos' proprietary mesh network for years, and it works  exceedingly well.  (A boost is not actually required, as all speakers can function as a mesh node.)

Current recommendation is to use home wifi if it provides sufficient coverage:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/~/choosing-between-a-standard-and-boost-setu...

They do advise to use boost / bridge setup if you have wireless problems, however, in a crowded wi-fi environment, adding extra network on 2.4G range may just make it worse due to interference.

Orbi should provide you more than enough coverage on 2.4G to run Sonos. 

PS: I've tried both setups and settled on  a unified WiFi network model.

Message 111 of 810
Loxley
Guide

Thanks for the various responses re the SONOS issue.  

As it happens, despite doing a manual update to go back to V1.11.0.20, the auto update soon clicked in and my Orbi units reverted to V1.12.0.18.  I suspect the best way to block updates is to do as esiebert7625 recommended recommended and that is simply to go to the Orbi Advanced menu, Security, Block Sites and add a block for downloads.netgear.com.

Also, by great good luck, V1.12.0.18 now works with the SONOS Boost - no idea why, it didn't worj first time round but, thankfully, no longer a problem.

On the question about why I use a Boost - if I just use the Orbi network I get drop-outs in parts of the house and problems with lossless music files, wherreas with the Boost the SONOS system is flawless.

Message 112 of 810
jcalex22
Star

Re: V1.12.0.18 is out

FYI,

With firmware V1.12.0.18 when Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices is enabled, my satellite disconnects and will not work at all. I've tried a factory reset on BOTH the Orbi router and satellite. It says the sat is detected, but will not activate after the setup procedure. 

Turn this setting off and all is well again. That was four hours of my life that I won't get back again. Needs a revised firmware version.

Message 113 of 810
jleecloak1
Apprentice

@jcalex22 wrote:

FYI,

With firmware V1.12.0.18 when Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices is enabled, my satellite disconnects and will not work at all. I've tried a factory reset on BOTH the Orbi router and satellite. It says the sat is detected, but will not activate after the setup procedure. 

Turn this setting off and all is well again. That was four hours of my life that I won't get back again. Needs a revised firmware version.

Don't you hate that? The troubleshooting with this router can take way longer than it should sometimes.

Message 114 of 810
Doug-48051
Luminary

@jleecloak1

Glad to see you're still in it with the rest of us.  I have a NEW issue I will be posting in the next few days.  My wife has a new Amazon Wand for scanning items and online shopping.  The Wand is exclusively 2.4Ghz.  It will not pickup the 2.4 network when it is GROUP under the same SSID has the 5Ghz

More testing is needed before I post next week.  LOL

Message 115 of 810
jleecloak1
Apprentice

@Doug-48051

I'm still here man, waiting on that miracle firmware update.

Message 116 of 810
dpdurst
Luminary

Yep I ran into this as well yesterday just trying things out. As soon as I beabled Implicit beamforming it killed the satallite connection. Turned off and back working again.

Message 117 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

So I did some testing, with the newest firmware (V1.12.0.18) I can't get better than 420Mbps throughput over ethernet to the internet, with the older version (V1.11.0.20) I get the full speed of my internet connection, 700-850Mbps. I've confirmed by downgrading and upgrading a couple of times, the results are consistent. Ping also seems to have doubled from 6ms to 12ms, what gives? 

Does anyone else have a high speed connection they can test?

Message 118 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

I can also confirm rolling back to V1.11.0.20 fixes the issue with connected devices all being listed as wired.

If I delivered software in this state I'd lose my job.

Message 119 of 810
a2fontaines
Tutor

Hello,

firmware seems to have an issue not listed in this topic for me...

My laptop works well and devices wired to the satellite also, but my Iphone keeps asking me the admin login / password when I want to connect to websistes.

If I log in, it works well for a short time, and after it asks again to log in (probably when the admin session expired).

Has anyone experienced that ? (very annoying so I stopped using wifi on my Iphone ...

Aloys

Message 120 of 810
DUSTOFF2
Guide

Yes it works great for me
Message 121 of 810
OrbiMan
Luminary

For most part firmware is doing OK. However signal strength reporting on genie app is bogus.
Message 122 of 810
JMU1998
Luminary

@OrbiMan it is not only the signal strength as bogus as100% for ALL devices but also all show as wired and NO link speeds did Netgear even test this? 

Message 123 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

@JMU1998 wrote:

@OrbiMan it is not only the signal strength as bogus as100% for ALL devices but also all show as wired and NO link speeds did Netgear even test this? 

I suspect they didn't test it. Sounds like no one is reporting it is working as intended. 

Message 124 of 810

Just downgraded manually to previous firmware. I do not understand why much of the functionality has been removed. I did not have time to debug and check various options, but the latest firmware broke wifi switches, my satellite was disconnected, and I started getting all sorts of disconnects.

I also switched off all FW updates so that I can choose when to update - it definately wont be V1.12.0.18!!!

Message 125 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7