Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hardwiring my Satellites

Leex1681
Aspirant

Hardwiring my Satellites

I am not tech wizard and need some help. I purchased the Orbi RBR40 with one router and 2 satellites. The router is hardwired In our basement through our cat5(?) Ethernet? (I think I said that correctly)...one satellite on our main floor and another upstairs. Everything has been working great except my zoom meetings get interrupted and freezes up at times. I am wondering if I plug the satellites into Ethernet porta(cat5), would that help with any delays I may be facing on my zoom meetings via labors?
I’ve tried changing channels and it hasn’t really seemed to make a huge difference. The zoom calls are random times even when I’m the only person In the house using WiFi.

Suggestions?
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Leex1681
Aspirant

Re: Hardwiring my Satellites

If I’m understanding correct, daisy chain is how I have it set up now? Each satellite on different floors not hardwired yet.

So your recommendation would be to hardwire the satellites?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Some more details. 

1. What firmware is on the router and the satellites? 

2. What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

3. What speeds (both upload and download) do you pay for? 

4. What actual speeds do you get hardwired into the router? 

You can hardwire the satellites in and it can help speeds, especially if the wireless backhaul was the issue. But if the wireless backhauls running great, that might not be the issue. 

What is Ethernet backhaul and how do I set it up on my Orbi WiFi System? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 9
Leex1681
Aspirant

1. Firmware - v2.6.2.104

2. We have a charter/Spectrum modem
3. 200mbps is all I can find on my bill? We have spectrum Internet

4.not sure about the speeds when I hardwire as we have not tried this yet. I was curious to see if it would help to hardwire.
Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemansis correct that many factors influence performance.

200mb is entirely adequate for Zoom meetings (I have 200mb from Spectrum and we Zoom and Facetime many times a week).

The question about hard wiring was intended to verify that Spectrum is actually delivering 200mb.

When a computer (desktop, laptop) is connected directly to the Spectrum modem with an ethernet cord, that is the highest speed possible.

If this is inconvenient or impractical, then the Orbi Speed Test is an approximation.

The 'backhaul' network is also critical, especially if the satellites are "Daisy Chained".  i.e. Floor 2 connects to Main Floor, which connects to Router.  That makes two "hops".  If this is the problem, then hardwiring both satellites directly to the router will make a huge difference.

Performance over an ethernet backhaul connection will be dramatically better than performance over two WiFi hops.

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Another consideration is that problems with video chats (Zoom, Facetime) can be caused by factors outside of your WiFi network, such as at the "other end."

Message 5 of 9
Leex1681
Aspirant

If I’m understanding correct, daisy chain is how I have it set up now? Each satellite on different floors not hardwired yet.

Message 6 of 9
Leex1681
Aspirant

That’s what I was wondering too but everyone else can hear each other just fine, I just can’t hear them and their video comes through super slow. Like they are talking In slow mo and they hear me in slow mo
Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Leex1681 wrote:

On the Orbi web interface, Attached Devices page, the satellites are listed at the top of the display. The column "Connected Orbi" shows what each satellite is connected to.  If one satellite connects to another instead of the router, that is Daisy Chain.

If connecting the satellites directly to the router with ethernet cable is practical, it removes Daisy Chain from being a possible cause of problems. I would wire my satellite with ethernet except that I cannot find a way to place a cable between them.  (Damn these two story houses with no crawl space under the floor and no attic access to every room.)

If installing ethernet cables is a major effort, it is possible to test what happens by using temporary ethernet connections.

Amazon sells 100ft. ethernet cables for under $20.  The family may tolerate cables running up the stairs, through the hallway, etc. for a couple of hours.  Convert to ethernet backhaul and start up a Zoom meeting.  Better? install cables.  No Better?  Not the problem.

Message 8 of 9
Leex1681
Aspirant

Great! This helps me understand the setup! Thank you. I will try the Ethernet approach!

Amy
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7