Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hidden Network?

stevefxp
Apprentice

Hidden Network?

Hello all,

I have an Orbi router(RBR50), one RBS50 satellite, and one RBW30 satellite. I see the radios for the 2.4 and 5 GHZ ranges but I am also seeing a hidden network in each range. It looks to be coming from the Orbi devices. Is this normal? Is that hidden network the guest network that could be configured? I do not have a guest network active but I am assuming this is it? Is there any way to turn off that hidden network, if I am not using it?

Thanks,
Steve

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Hidden Network?

Thats the wireless backhaul signal used between the RBR and RBSs. Nothing to configure here or usable by users. Only the system uses it. Can it can't be disabled. Needs to be enabled for the system to work well, especially when wireless with the RBS. 

Message 2 of 6
stevefxp
Apprentice

I see the wireless backhaul hidden networks, as they are up high in the 5 GHZ range. The one I am talking about sit right on top of my actual SSID, so it seems that these hidden networks, one in the 2.4GHZ and one in the 5 GHZ must be for something else. Take a look at the attached file. You will see the backhaul network up high in the 5 GHZ zone. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Hard to tell with all that going on in that picture. So if you turn off the RBR this one disappears? 

What FW version are you currently running? 

Message 4 of 6
stevefxp
Apprentice

Running 2.3.1.48 and 2.3.0.4...

I have also enabled a guest network and now this guest network is showing two devices that do not have a WPA2 password, which I thought could not happen since this is a mesh network.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Now if you disable the Guest Network, do those disappear fully? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7