Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How To Generate New Mac Address On Orbi

How To Generate New Mac Address On Orbi

Hello, So I am wondering, what can I do to cause my Orbi system to generate a new MAC address? I tried rebooting the orbi system, but this did nothing. Thanks in advance.

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 8
loomis1975
Luminary

Re: How To Generate New Mac Address On Orbi

It can't generate a new MAC address.  It can use its static always the same, internal MAC address or you can input a manual MAC address for purposes of spoofing your modem/isp into thinking the Orbi is another device its okay with.

Message 2 of 8

Hi, what I am trying to do:

My ISP (Charter) uses Dynamic IP Addresses, which I am currently trying to change my Dynamic IP Address. I had read this can be done by changing the MAC address of the router, would you know about this?

Thanks.

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 3 of 8
loomis1975
Luminary

I've had spectrum (charter) for over 8 years now I think.  They tend not to change the public IP address assigned to you very often.  It is a dynamic IP and they can change it at any time but, I've had the same public IP for over a year.

Even if you do change the MAC address that is connected to the cable modem, they might not change the IP, but they also might, so if you really need to change your public facing IP to something new, it is worth a shot.

Connect a computer browser to the Orbi Router web manager UI at its internal ip address, most likely 192.168.1.1 and login in with your user name and password.

Then click on the "INTERNET" Icon that should read "Status: Good" on it.

This will take you to the Internet Setup Screen.  Scroll down to the very bottom, should have a header that reads, "Router MAC Address".

If Use Default Address radio button is selected, then change it to Use Computer MAC address or vice versa. Click Apply button at the top of the screen to save your changes.  Wait a few minutes, then power down both your router and your cable modem.  Wait a few minutes, then power on your cable modem.  Wait till your cable modem lights are normal, then power on your router.  And then after a bit to a while, you will get to see if they give you a new public IP address.

Message 4 of 8

Hi, I did what you said, and thanks, my external ip address changed.

But I have one last question, if the router is using my computers mac address, wouldn't that cause the network to not work when my computer is turned off? What exactly is the difference between Computer Adress and Default Address?

Thank you.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I you mac clone on the router you don't need the computer ON as the router will simulate the mac address and use it when needed. 

Message 6 of 8

Thank you, and I change it back to Default Address that will not will not cause it to revert back to the former ip address? Thank you.

Message 7 of 8
loomis1975
Luminary

Very unlikely that it would revert to the prior public IP address.  It might change again though.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7