Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I open Ports UDP500 UDP1500 and UDP123

emel1721
Follower

How do I open Ports UDP500 UDP1500 and UDP123

I just got a cellspot from T-Mobile and it is telling me to make sure that these ports are open and I do not have any idea how to find them and open them. I would love some help on this.

Thank you!

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How do I open Ports UDP500 UDP1500 and UDP123

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

If this device is connected to the Orbi, and you have a modem only infront of the Orbi router, you can use the DMZ for this device On the Orbi. 

Setup a IP address reservation for this device ON the base router and input this IP address into the DMZ ON the Orbi. 

@emel1721 wrote:

I just got a cellspot from T-Mobile and it is telling me to make sure that these ports are open and I do not have any idea how to find them and open them. I would love some help on this.

Thank you!

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If this device is connected to the Orbi, and you have a modem only infront of the Orbi router, you can use the DMZ for this device On the Orbi. 

Setup a IP address reservation for this device ON the base router and input this IP address into the DMZ ON the Orbi. 

This is a great solution, as long as the modem is really "only a modem".  On the Orbi web interface, assign the cellspot an IP address on the Advanced tab, Setup, LAN Setup.  It's called "Device Reservation."  Then, input that IP as the "DMZ server", which is on the Advanced tab, Setup, WAN Setup. 

If the modem is actually acting as a router, then it takes more work.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now if you have had any progress. 

@emel1721 wrote:

Thank you!

Message 4 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

DMZ is a non-protected destination, so by doing as you suggested all attacks on Orbi will be directed to this device!

@emel1721 Please forward only the ports that you need using the Port Forwarding menu (after resering an address to the device) as follows:

Namnlöst.png

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Plausable however can be used. Something I have used for Voice devices which works for most cases. Haven't seen any attacks on my microcell in the DMZ. 

Message 6 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Plausable however can be used. Something I have used for Voice devices which works for most cases. Haven't seen any attacks on my microcell in the DMZ. 

DMZ can be used towards another device that has filtering/firewall capabilities like a router. It's not correct to direct all ports without control to a network device!

This is a network design rule. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Most attacks are not towards a Voip device anyways, nothing to gain for attacking a VoIP device. DMZ can be used in some cases. Been working for me for years with out issue. There a reason for DMZ and it's a users choice. 

Message 8 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

...... There a reason for DMZ and it's a users choice. 

..... , and there is also a reason for Port-Forwarding and Port-Triggering! 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

........ Been working for me for years with out issue....... 

So you're saying that since your left your front door open for years without getting a break-in means that it's correct to leave the door open? 🙂

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

In summer time I do all the time. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Thought it would be interesting to see what T-Mobile has to say about their CellSpot:

• Make sure the device is connected correctly to the router or router/modem combo unit.
  • Wait at least 2 hours after the device was originally plugged in and set up.
  • Contact your ISP to ensure ports UDP 500, UDP 4500 and UDP 123 are opened and place the device in a DMZ.
  • If that does not work,

What a hoot.  I have no idea how "armored" T-Mobile's CellSpot device is, nor why they would recommend putting it in a DMZ. 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Use of DMZ is sometimes easier for users to try out. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7