Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Configure ORBI RBK50 with Modem/Router

mike_web
Aspirant

How to Configure ORBI RBK50 with Modem/Router

Hi,

I have just acquired an Orbi RBK50 + a Netgear DM200 modem/router to connect to VDSL internet service.

Can I configure the DM200 to act as the modem+gateway+firewall, i.e. perform the VDSL internet connection, and then have the Orbi handle all the rest, i.e. Router, DHCP, WiFi, VPN? I like the idea of this configuration since the DM200 handles all the internet side of things & I get to see the modem status, i.e. the VDSL line connection status which is essential to monitor my connection.

Reading the Orbi manual it seems it wants to handle the Internet/VDSL connection, which seems strange to me. I see there is an"AP" mode, but if I turn that on it disables other features on the Orbi such as DHCP, VPN service, etc.

How do I configure the Orbi to achieve the configuration I listed above? The manuals don't really provide any details on configuration options.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to Configure ORBI RBK50 with Modem/Router

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 4
mike_web
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I am using a Netgear Modem/Router (DM200) with the Orbi. You would think products from the same company would work together! I see that Draytek modems have an option to pass on their xDSL stats to the router behind - wish the Netgear equipment did the same.

I think I did try the Netgear Modem (DM200) in bridge mode - I say that because the documentation doesn't call it "bridge" mode, rather it says Device Mode: Modem+Router or Modem-only. I guess the "Modem only" mode is what the rest of the world calls "bridge"? The DM200 only has one Ethernet port, used by the Orbi to get out to the internet, so when I tried this config out, there wasn't anyway to talk direct to the modem.

What I didn't try when in that configuration was to change the DM200 Modem to use a 192.168.1.x address for itself (i.e within the Orbi address range), rather than its default 192.168.5.1. I guess if I try that, I might be able to connect to it from behind the Orbi?

I will give that a go. I am leaving things as is at present to do an extended modem connection stability test - I need to see if the DM200 is more reliable than the poor router/modem the ISP gave me which kept dropping the connection.

I am currently running in your option 3 mode, but would like to get to (1) so as to have the direct access to the modem, line status, etc.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes if the modem is using .1.1 as it's default then this could be conflict as Orbi uses same. If you reset the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard, it should auto change the routers IP address so it doesn't conflict with the modem when it's in router mode. If you change the router to full bridge mode, this shouldn't be a problem as the modems 1.1 address would be and should be disabled.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7