Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to change wireless device from 2.4 to 5G or to a closer satellite

Rmngg
Aspirant

How to change wireless device from 2.4 to 5G or to a closer satellite

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: How to change wireless device from 2.4 to 5G or to a closer satellite

Some wireless devices do NOT support 5g and will never go there.

If you have a device that is connected to your network and you think it should be joining a satellite that is closer, just try power cycle/rebooting that particular device.

Devices -- under normal conditions -- will choose the band and satellite that is best for them.  Sometimes we dont understand why it made those choices, but between the crowded RF spectrum and electromagnetic intereference as well as buoilding materials and RF harmonics, devices pick satellites and bands that dont make sense to us... but it does to them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

Some wireless devices do NOT support 5g and will never go there.

If you have a device that is connected to your network and you think it should be joining a satellite that is closer, just try power cycle/rebooting that particular device.

Devices -- under normal conditions -- will choose the band and satellite that is best for them.  Sometimes we dont understand why it made those choices, but between the crowded RF spectrum and electromagnetic intereference as well as buoilding materials and RF harmonics, devices pick satellites and bands that dont make sense to us... but it does to them.

Message 2 of 4
Rmngg
Aspirant

Great info thanks.  I should have mentioed, I had moved the Sattelite units around as I was add a "wall" unit and rearranging other things.  Sounds like I should power cycle those devices that I am concerned about and see what happens.  One followon question that may be resolved by the Power Cycle, but if not...  I have 3 ring "Stick-up Cameras" . 2 connected at 5G, but 1 at 2.4G.  If POR does not correct, is there an alternate suggestion?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7