Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to configure/set up Netgear Nighthawk AC1900/C7000 modem router with Orbi?

CynDaVaz
Tutor

How to configure/set up Netgear Nighthawk AC1900/C7000 modem router with Orbi?

From my understanding, I have to disable the "router" function of my Nighthawk cable modem router in order to use it with Orbi. But what does that mean? Just turning off the wireless function? Or something else? And is turning off the wifi on the modem router as simple as just disabling SSID broadcast? Or is it something else? I'm not a computer novice, but networking stuff does confuse me sometimes. 😕  

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to configure/set up Netgear Nighthawk AC1900/C7000 modem router with Orbi?

@CynDaVaz wrote:

Thanks so much for the quick reply! It's not an R7000 - it's a C7000 (the modem/router combo) - so I can't ditch the whole thing altogether because it's a modem too. That doesn't change your recommendation, though, does it? 

ok so its the same thing just run the c7000 as it is and just disable its wifi and run the orbi system behind it in AP

no the speeds over wifi and ethernet will be the same wether its in router mode of AP mode

the reason to run the orbi in AP mode is to avoid a dual nat situation which causes issues with UPnP and port forwarding

--------

you could possibly bridge the c7000 so its acts as just a pure modem and run the orbi in router mode but i cant tell you how or if the c7000 can be sucessfully bridged

however if you look at the link below it shows you how to put the c7000 into bridge mode

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C7000/C7000_Comcast_UM_27apr15.pdf

on page 11

this too will remove the dual nat issue

---------------------------

the choice is yours which way you would do it , however imho the best and easiest way is to keep the c7000 in router mode and disable its wifi and run the orbi system behind it in AP mode , eg the first method i explained

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 15

All Replies

Re: How to configure/set up Netgear Nighthawk AC1900/C7000 modem router with Orbi?

actually i would do it the other way around

leave the r7000 running as the router but disable the wifi on the r7000 ( yes its simple as disabling both ssid broadcasts )

the connect the orbi router and set it to AP mode

this is what i do but with an asus router and the orbi system

the r7000 running this way give you better control

----------------------

of course you can just ditch the r7000 altogether and use the orbi as your router

Message 2 of 15
CynDaVaz
Tutor

Thanks so much for the quick reply! It's not an R7000 - it's a C7000 (the modem/router combo) - so I can't ditch the whole thing altogether because it's a modem too. That doesn't change your recommendation, though, does it? 

Message 3 of 15
CynDaVaz
Tutor

Also - it won't affect speed if I set the Orbi to AP mode?

Message 4 of 15

@CynDaVaz wrote:

ok so its the same thing just run the c7000 as it is and just disable its wifi and run the orbi system behind it in AP

no the speeds over wifi and ethernet will be the same wether its in router mode of AP mode

the reason to run the orbi in AP mode is to avoid a dual nat situation which causes issues with UPnP and port forwarding

--------

you could possibly bridge the c7000 so its acts as just a pure modem and run the orbi in router mode but i cant tell you how or if the c7000 can be sucessfully bridged

however if you look at the link below it shows you how to put the c7000 into bridge mode

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C7000/C7000_Comcast_UM_27apr15.pdf

on page 11

this too will remove the dual nat issue

---------------------------

the choice is yours which way you would do it , however imho the best and easiest way is to keep the c7000 in router mode and disable its wifi and run the orbi system behind it in AP mode , eg the first method i explained

Message 5 of 15
CynDaVaz
Tutor

Thanks again! OK, I will try it that way (the first one you mentioned); though I will check out the other option you posted too. Gonna tackle setup of the system this Sunday. Hopefully all will go well. 

Message 6 of 15

tick the accept solution if this works for you and a thumbs up for me as well 🙂

Message 7 of 15
CynDaVaz
Tutor

After looking through the section in the manual where it talks about putting the device into bridge mode, I do think that it'll be easier to stick with your first suggestion (disabling wireless in the modem router and putting the Orbi in AP mode).

Message 8 of 15
CynDaVaz
Tutor

I accepted the solution - I'm trying to give you thumbs up too but it doesn't look like it's taking 😞 

Message 9 of 15

all good , enjoy the coverage wifi wise that the orbi brings you 🙂

Message 10 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@CynDaVaz wrote:

From my understanding, I have to disable the "router" function of my Nighthawk cable modem router in order to use it with Orbi. But what does that mean? Just turning off the wireless function? Or something else? And is turning off the wifi on the modem router as simple as just disabling SSID broadcast? Or is it something else? I'm not a computer novice, but networking stuff does confuse me sometimes. 😕  

Disabling SSID broadcast does not turn off the WiFi radio You need to turn off (disable) the WiFi radios completely for both the 2.4 and 5 G Hz bands on the C7000. 

Message 11 of 15
CynDaVaz
Tutor

Oh really? Shoot ... I guess I need to figure out how to do that then. Maybe the user guide posted upthread will hold the answer. 

Message 12 of 15
CynDaVaz
Tutor

OK - I found out the answer by looking through the user guide. Seems easy enough. So if I disable the wireless radio, that stops the SSID broadcast by default, correct? Or do I still need to do that as well?

Message 13 of 15
st_shaw
Master

Disabling the radios is all you need to do.

Message 14 of 15
CynDaVaz
Tutor

Great - thanks!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7