Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is there a way to view data usage per device?

bottomsup
Guide

Is there a way to view data usage per device?

On Orbi RBK50

Thanks
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is there a way to view data usage per device?

@bottomsup wrote:
On Orbi RBK50

No, there is not.  One user was so determined to find per device usage that he purchased a different router and installed 3rd party software on it for this purpose.  If you have $150 and want to invest the time, that is the only solution I have seen.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Orbi has a "debug" feature which will capture every packet that flows through the network and store them in a standard format called "PCAP".  There are programs which will display and summarize PCAP files.  Wireshark, for example, is available for Windows, Mac, and a number of Linux releases.

Our internet usage is minimal (very little streaming), and we average about 8GB/day of internet.  Internal traffic is mostly IP camera FTP's.  Of the 495MB internal memory, my RBR50 has about 300MB free so I can capture several hours.  It also has a USB port that I stick a 32GB memory stick in for big captures.  I just now captured about two hours.  I have defined each of the MAC and IP address in Wireshark configuration files so that displays are more "human friendly."  Capturing everything means it record a LOT of things I have no interest in, so it is a bit tedious to wade through.

Wireshark will show "conversations" between devices, IP addresses, etc.  Number of packets.  Number of bytes.

This is not easy, concise, automatic, or attractive.  So, what value is it?

One person posted about data usage by device because he had gone over his 1TB monthly limit and the ISP was going to begin charging him. Eventually, he traced the problem to a misconfigured device that was constantly blasting data "to" the internet.  If one device is responsible for 100 times more data than any other device, it will pop to the top of the display.  So, for idle curiosity this is probably more effort than it is worth.  If there is a usage problem, it is something to consider.

Message 4 of 6
bombardier67
Aspirant

We recently got rid of our Cox TV cable and phone to only use the internet.   For the first time we are running out of data two months in a row.   Basically since we turned of the TV cable.   Our router does not show the usage per device so I cannot figure out where the data is being used.   Any suggestions?  Right now, I feel like the cable company is playing a game.   We have the WNDR4500v2 model router

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Good Luck.

@bombardier67 wrote:

We recently got rid of our Cox TV cable and phone to only use the internet.   For the first time we are running out of data two months in a row.   Basically since we turned of the TV cable.   Our router does not show the usage per device so I cannot figure out where the data is being used.   Any suggestions?  Right now, I feel like the cable company is playing a game.   We have the WNDR4500v2 model router

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7