Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Local Domain ping - name.local

SevenRaz
Guide

Local Domain ping - name.local

I currently run my orbi in AP mode, and have a generic linksys acting as my "router" and it also broadcasting an additional wireless network.  My problem is, when I am attached to the ORBI network, I am not able to contact my local domain i.e. domain.local.  When I connect to my other wirless network (on the same subnet) I am able to contact my local network. 

The orbi is not allowing DNS resolution on domain.local - when I connect to either wireless they both use the same DHCP server and have all same routes.  Connected to the orbi I can ping the ip address of my local domain directly if I type it in, but never with DNS resolution.  I am very happy with the product otherwise, is there a way to turn off the DNS proxy service on the ORBI?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Re: Local Domain ping - name.local

.local domain name resolution typically uses mDNS. mDNS uses link-local IP multicast. Any kind of multicast is generally problematic for Wi-Fi. It's really hard to reliably reach ALL devices with a single transmission. To keep this manageable, many Wi-Fi stations will limit the speed of multicast transmissions. It's possible that the Orbi a very low limit. Unfortunately, Netgear doesn't usually expose any multicast speed settings.

I don't have an Orbi but maybe someone else can confirm the same behavior on their Orbi.
Message 2 of 6
rhester72
Virtuoso

It is indeed likely that a mDNS router somewhere on your network (and there could be many of them, it's bundled with every copy of iTunes, for example) is messing this up, because Apple more or less defacto reserved ".local" for themselves.

.lan works exactly as expected here.

Message 3 of 6
SevenRaz
Guide

Thanks for the reply.  I am not sure if this is the problem.  I have my own DNS setup on my network and all domain queries are coming through except for the .local resolution.  Like stated before, when I get onto the Linksys wireless on the same subnet I have no issues reaching the .local domain. 

Message 4 of 6
SevenRaz
Guide

I am not sure if anyone cares at this point.  But what I have found out is, DNS behavior is different depending on the mode you are in, Router or AP mode. 

1 - Router mode (no wire in "internet" port)

- I am able to ping my local domain

- all functionality words 

2 - AP mode 

- DNS is filtered and does not allow ping of local domain

Why do you think this is? 

Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 6
SevenRaz
Guide

I am not sure if anyone cares at this point.  But what I have found out is, DNS behavior is different depending on the mode you are in, Router or AP mode. 

1 - Router mode (no wire in "internet" port)

- I am able to ping my local domain

- all functionality words 

2 - AP mode 

- DNS is filtered and does not allow ping of local domain

Why do you think this is? 

Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos