Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Low Speeds on 2.4 ghz

aganish
Follower

Low Speeds on 2.4 ghz

So I live in a 6000sq foot apartment, in which I had initially installed three Ubiquiti 2.4ghz AP’s LR which i had purchased back in 2013. I had a internet connection of 40MBPS then and always got in between 30-38 on my UNIFI. I faced frequent speed drops though, not from my ISP but from Unifi. Then this year in January I upgraded to Netgear ORBI RBR20 router with two RBS20 satellites, and replaced my network switch to a gigabit switch with CAT 6 wiring.  The system worked great, always giving me 40MBPS on both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. But it was copper, so last week I upgraded to Fibre connection of 100MBPS and connected the orbi to the ISP’s ONT router. After this upgrade, I get great 100MBPS speed when I am on 5ghz near the router, but when I am a little far and my device automatically switches from 5 to 2.4ghz speed drops to 20-35 mbps even with full wifi signal. I tried running my old 2.4ghz UNIFI again, it also never gives speed above 35, but if I plug the CAT 6 plugged into it to my laptop directly it always gives 100-120 mbps. I tried all basic troubleshooting on ORBI and UNIFI, changing channel, power, mhz etc. Nothing seems to increase the speed in 2.4 ghz. My devices are connecting at link speeds of upto 70-100 mbps on 2.4 ghz. Even then the internet speed I am getting is only upto 30. If I am close to router on 5ghz speed is amazing. All my devices are latest, like new Macbook bro, Iphone XS etc, I have tried on old windows devices as well. 

I am also facing this exact same problem on fibre connection from a different ISP at my office as well. Great speeds on 5ghz, but pathetic on 2.4 ghz. 

I would be really great, if I can get some suggestions on this. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Re: Low Speeds on 2.4 ghz

Hi,

I believe the issue you are seeing on 2.4Ghz, is dependent on how many streams the APs and devices support.  For 1 stream, it is up to 72.2 Mbps connected speed, or about ~35Mbps max throughput.  2 streams, up to 144.4 Mbps connected speed, or about ~65Mbps max throughput.

CheerZ

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7