Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Modem/router setup for Orbi

Mossmoss
Follower

Modem/router setup for Orbi

Hi can anyone help me with instructions on how to prepare my netgear D7800 modem/router for use with NETGEAR RBK53 Orbi Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System please? thanks 

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Re: Modem/router setup for Orbi

That depends on how you are going to use Orbi, as the main router or in the AP mode.  If you want your D7800 to handle your DHCP and be your main controling router you connect Orbi and put it in the AP mode in the interface. If you want your D7800 to act as a gateway modem only and have Orbi act as DHCP server and use full Orbi controls, you bridge the router part in you modem / router (in your interface with the D7800) and set Orbi in router mode.

Setting Orbi up in AP mode is simple.

Advanced>Advanced Setup>Router / AP Mode

...or

Bridging your Netgear modem router is here:

https://kb.netgear.com/24105/What-is-bridge-mode-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Which is better for you depends on your individual need and what else you have going for you in your circumstances and environment. Your existing router device is AC2600, your Orbi is AC3000, slightly better bandwidth.

Message 2 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: Modem/router setup for Orbi

If you use Orbi in AP mode the following features will be not available, so use this list to select if Orbi or the Nighthawk is better router for your network:

• Guest Network
  • QoS
  • Setup Wizard
  • Port Forwarding/Port Triggering
  • Remote Management
  • UPnP
  • IPv6
  • Traffic Meter
  • Parental Controls
  • Block Sites
  • Block Services
  • VPN service