Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moderate NAT XBOX One X with Orbi Mesh System

thebigbadbull55
Initiate

Moderate NAT XBOX One X with Orbi Mesh System

Hello!  I am having the worst luck in trying to figure this out.  I have the Orbi mesh sytem in my house that is linked in to my AT&T router/modem (BGW210-700) and I am getting a moderate NAT when trying to game online.  I kept trying different suggestions, but haven't been able to find anything that works.

Any help would be much appreciated as I feel like there has to be a solution out there and I am just not sure where to go from here!

thank you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Moderate NAT XBOX One X with Orbi Mesh System

Your ISP modem already has a built in router...This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

I would try option 2 first, then try option 3. 

Are you seeing OPEN NAT on the xbox dashboard networking settings? Where are you seeing moderate NAT? If in game, then you may not see OPEN NAT in your current configuration. 

This a single xbox console or do you have two or more? 

@thebigbadbull55 wrote:

Hello!  I am having the worst luck in trying to figure this out.  I have the Orbi mesh sytem in my house that is linked in to my AT&T router/modem (BGW210-700) and I am getting a moderate NAT when trying to game online.  I kept trying different suggestions, but haven't been able to find anything that works.

Any help would be much appreciated as I feel like there has to be a solution out there and I am just not sure where to go from here!

thank you!

Message 2 of 6
thebigbadbull55
Initiate

Hey Furrye38!  Thank you for the response.  I tried last night for the pass through option, but I wasn't able to get anything to function properly.  I am not sure I had the right IP's in the right sections, but not sure what I need to ask my ISP for when I call them.

Additionally, I tried option 3 and still got the NAT Moderate with lots of lag trying to play online.  I found this option to be the easiest but no success.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Where on the xbox are you seeing Moderate NAT? Networking on the Dashboard or in game? 

You can try this and have the ISP help you with this if you want to use the RBR in router mode:

https://www.f0il.com/how-to-arris-bgw210-700-modem-router-with-netgear-xr500-router/
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-do-I-setup-bridge-mode-in-the-ARRIS-BGW210-700/m-p/1875994...

Message 4 of 6
BluntAttack
Aspirant

Any luck on this? I have RBR750 with two satellites. Two Xbox Ones. Both always show Open Nat in the console settings. Both always show Moderate in Modern Warfare menu. My older Nighthawk will show Open in game, but Moderate on the second console. Which worked fine... most of the time. Upgraded to Orbi to get the WiFi speed - which is awesome BTW. But now can’t get one console or the other to ever show Open in game. Unplugging one console completely from power and network does nothing. Restarted everything 87 times. Opened NAT from Secure, turned on and off UPnP. Forwarded every port even possibly associated with Xbox and Modern Warfare to the reserved IP set to manual on Xbox. Tried the various DNS services all of which sucked the speed right off my 400m connection. I’m pretty sure NoIP is a scam... Turned off Armor. Unplugged everything over night. Did a dance in the front yard with network cables to please the powers that be. No dice. Both say moderate and it affects game chat - but not private Xbox party chat. Tried wireless and wired connects. Tried CAT 5, 5e, and 6 cables. Modem is just a modem, no routing capacity. Tried unplugging both satellites just to see. Firmware is current, something something .15.25. Never got to test the og firmware because it updated during install. Aside from this super huge pain, I’m in love with Orbi. But this is a deal breaker, my wife is addicted to Warzone and it’s a great “safer at home” pastime that keeps us from killing each other IRL. Ha. No but really, I really want to keep the Orbi, but I’d rather have slow WiFi sketchy than no Warzone with wife and friends. First world I know, but any idea no matter how strange would certainly make a married couples day! I’m happy to provide any more details, make a YouTube video, take some pics? Any reasonable favor? lol. I’d call tech support, but I’ve already unplugged my modem for 30 seconds and update the firmware(s)...
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the Orbi AX forum for you model Orbi.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you. 

@BluntAttack wrote:
Any luck on this? I have RBR750 with two satellites. Two Xbox Ones. Both always show Open Nat in the console settings. Both always show Moderate in Modern Warfare menu. My older Nighthawk will show Open in game, but Moderate on the second console. Which worked fine... most of the time. Upgraded to Orbi to get the WiFi speed - which is awesome BTW. But now can’t get one console or the other to ever show Open in game. Unplugging one console completely from power and network does nothing. Restarted everything 87 times. Opened NAT from Secure, turned on and off UPnP. Forwarded every port even possibly associated with Xbox and Modern Warfare to the reserved IP set to manual on Xbox. Tried the various DNS services all of which sucked the speed right off my 400m connection. I’m pretty sure NoIP is a scam... Turned off Armor. Unplugged everything over night. Did a dance in the front yard with network cables to please the powers that be. No dice. Both say moderate and it affects game chat - but not private Xbox party chat. Tried wireless and wired connects. Tried CAT 5, 5e, and 6 cables. Modem is just a modem, no routing capacity. Tried unplugging both satellites just to see. Firmware is current, something something .15.25. Never got to test the og firmware because it updated during install. Aside from this super huge pain, I’m in love with Orbi. But this is a deal breaker, my wife is addicted to Warzone and it’s a great “safer at home” pastime that keeps us from killing each other IRL. Ha. No but really, I really want to keep the Orbi, but I’d rather have slow WiFi sketchy than no Warzone with wife and friends. First world I know, but any idea no matter how strange would certainly make a married couples day! I’m happy to provide any more details, make a YouTube video, take some pics? Any reasonable favor? lol. I’d call tech support, but I’ve already unplugged my modem for 30 seconds and update the firmware(s)...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7