Reply

Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem

Kacopers
Tutor

Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem

My modem fried in a storm this week so spectrum gave me a new modem. This one only has a single Ethernet output. When I attempt to connect it to my mr60, the router won't recognize anything is connected while the Ethernet is in the internet port of the mr60. If I move the Ethernet to the Ethernet port of the mr60, the router responds normally, but the mr60 isn't receiving internet.
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Sage

Re: Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem


@Kacopers wrote:
My modem fried in a storm this week so spectrum gave me a new modem. This one only has a single Ethernet output. When I attempt to connect it to my mr60, the router won't recognize anything is connected while the Ethernet is in the internet port of the mr60. If I move the Ethernet to the Ethernet port of the mr60, the router responds normally, but the mr60 isn't receiving internet.

In what way does the MR60 "respond normally" when the modem is connected to the ethernet port of the MR60?

It will never have internet access when connected that way.

Was this MR60 configured in the normal (router) mode, or in Access Point (AP) mode?

There is a chance that the original (dead) modem was a combination modem/router and the MR60 was put in AP mode to avoid having "two routers back to back." (https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT )

 

I do not know that this matters in this specific case, but people who own the MR product typically post in the forum for Nighthawk Mesh Routers: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-mesh-system 

I love my Orbi.
Message 2 of 11
Kacopers
Tutor

Re: Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem

The modem recognizes something is connected when the Ethernet is connected to the "Ethernet" port of the mr60 but doesn't recognize anything is connected when the Ethernet is connected to the "internet" port of the mr60. I am not sure how it was set up. I factory reset the mr60 and am unable to proceed with setup because it doesn't detect internet.

I can move this to that forum if necessary. Thanks for the help.
Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Sage

Re: Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem


@Kacopers wrote:
The modem recognizes something is connected when the Ethernet is connected to the "Ethernet" port of the mr60 but doesn't recognize anything is connected when the Ethernet is connected to the "internet" port of the mr60. I am not sure how it was set up. I factory reset the mr60 and am unable to proceed with setup because it doesn't detect internet.

I can move this to that forum if necessary. Thanks for the help.

Maybe someone who owns the MR60 will have had a similar experience and see your post there.

 

With a Factory Reset, the MR60 will be in router mode, which should work with an ordinary modem (only one ethernet jack).

How is the setup being done? (web interface or "app")?

I love my Orbi.
Message 4 of 11
Kacopers
Tutor

Re: Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem

I am doing set up via app
Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Sage

Re: Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem

Do you have anything that can connect directly to the modem's ethernet port (PC, Mac, Laptop?)

It is often worth a few minutes to verify that the modem is working correctly.

 

Unless you are required by the ISP to enter a user name and password to get connected, the MR60 should function without any setup at all.

Just plug it in, power it up and:

  • It should begin broadcasting the WiFi name printed on the product label.
  • The WiFi password should be what is printed on the label.
  • If you connect a device using those credentials, it should get internet.

Does this not happen?

 

Of course, most of us want to pick our own WiFi name/password. (I always set it to match the WiFi router I am replacing so that all of my devices will connect automatically without being reconfigured.)

 

I love my Orbi.
Message 6 of 11
Kacopers
Tutor

Re: Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem

I connected everything and the MR60 doesn't receive internet from the modem.  I am able to connect to the WIFI network that it broadcasts without the network has no internet.  I think the issue is that the modem isn't recognizing the MR60.  I tried it with a different router and had the same issue of the modem not sharing internet with the router, so it might be a modem sided issue.

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Sage

Re: Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem


@Kacopers wrote:

I connected everything and the MR60 doesn't receive internet from the modem.  I am able to connect to the WIFI network that it broadcasts without the network has no internet.  I think the issue is that the modem isn't recognizing the MR60.  I tried it with a different router and had the same issue of the modem not sharing internet with the router, so it might be a modem sided issue.


This may be the important clue. We always recommend powering off the modem, singing a short song (I actually make threatening remarks to the modem), then powering it back up again. It could be that Spectrum needs to do something to activate the new modem. Certainly if the modem does not work with two routers, it is time for a call to Spectrum.

I love my Orbi.
Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Sage

Re: Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem

p.s. That was a smart move to try a different router.  One would thing the wise guys who give advice on the forum would have thought of that.

I love my Orbi.
Message 9 of 11
Kacopers
Tutor

Re: Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem

Thanks for all the help! I did a little jig between and it didn't help, so if that didn't work, nothing will. I wanted to check all my boxes before having to deal with customer service.
Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Sage

Re: Mr60 not connecting to spectrum modem

Please come back and report on the resolution.... and Good Luck!

I love my Orbi.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 800 views
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E