Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple Building configuration

Luke5s
Aspirant

Multiple Building configuration

I attached a photo of the the buildings I would like to get wireless to. I would like to know the setup and equipment I would need.

Can a router and satellite have a strong link 75' apart between buildings, placing the units in the windows??

Would three satellites be enough in each building?

Can you use 6 satellites and 1 router in one WIFI system?

Looking at the photo, what is my best option for coverage and connectivity?

Thanks in advance, Luke

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Multiple Building configuration

Netgear Orbi is not typically employed for this sort of situation.  Would need more information about the dimensions and "internals" of the two buildings to even hazard a guess, plus where coverage is most important.  With only 25mb capacity to share, the backhaul link on Orbi is certainly more than enough for simple things: checking email, simple web browsing, etc. 

As to the questions:

• Yes, six satellites can be attached to a single router.  There is a "trick" to adding them after the first three, but several users have posted doing so.
  • Yes, my guess is that the router and satellite can get "good enough" reception over 75' of open space to support 25mb backhaul.
  • It nearly always better to connect a router and satellite using ethernet cable.
  • Depending on the configuration of the buildings, as few as two satellites may be enough to consume the limited bandwidth.  I would not be terribly worried about 5G performance when the total bandwidth available is only 25mb.  (If the goal is to stream Hi-Def video from the church to the recreation building as "overflow seating", that would be a concern.

Both Amazon and Costco have generous return policies.  It would be pretty simple to set up an RBK53 system and test it to the recreation building:

• Router in the house window.
  • Satellite in the rec building window.  Does it connect and have a BLUE ring light (not AMBER)? 
    If not, box it up and return it.  Experiment failed.  If yes,
  • Get a long extension cord and walk around the rec building with the second satellite.  Where does it get a good (BLUE)connection?
  • Once the second satellite is "as far as it gets good signal", walk around the building with a cell phone and see where it works and doesn't work.  Covers enough of the building?  Great. We're done!  Doesn't cover the whole building and it's obvious where a second satellite would "fill in", think about purchasing another satellite.
Message 2 of 3
Luke5s
Aspirant

Re: Multiple Building configuration

Thank you for the reply.. I will get the kit you are talking about and give it a try.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7