Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi RBK50 - ethernet backhaul

stin00
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi RBK50 - ethernet backhaul

My Netgear Orbi RBK50 (AC3000, 1 router + 1 sattelite) is not giving the desired wireless coverage on both floors, as the sattelite is providing slower wifi speeds. I'm planning on making an ethernet backhaul to the sattelite, but I'm trying to figure out what my possibilities are.I found this picuture: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... . My question is about the last option, so how to integrate an ethernet switch.

Modem (bridge mode) ---> Ethernet switch ----> Orbi Router

&

Ethernet switch ----> Orbi Sattelite

So from the ISP Modem, i'll have 1 cable towards an Ethernet Switch and from there 2 separate cables: 1 towards the orbi router, 1 towards the orbi sattelite.

Will this work? I guess it won't since the Orbi router and sattelite are not directly connected to eachother?

(I'd like to choose this option over the others because it's a lot more difficult in my home to lay a cable between the router + sattelite)

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK50 - ethernet backhaul

Go

modem----->orbi router-----switch/satellites

because if the modem truly is in bridge/modem only mode, you need the router running dhcp/nat. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Go

modem----->orbi router-----switch/satellites

because if the modem truly is in bridge/modem only mode, you need the router running dhcp/nat. 

Message 2 of 3
stin00
Aspirant

I was afraid that was the case, but it makes sense 🙂
Thanks for the quick reply @plemax 

I'll have to sadly go Modem -- Orbi router --> Sattelite.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7