Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi RBS10 - Blinking Red - Cannot Perform Factory Reset

owlowlowlowl
Initiate

Netgear Orbi RBS10 - Blinking Red - Cannot Perform Factory Reset

Hi Netgear Community,

Main Problem: I cannot hard reset the RBS10 satellites.  Three of them are currently blinking red.  I have tried the 7+ second hold of the reset button, and I have tried the 30-30-30 second long reset with the reset button.  Nothing works.  Three of the satellites still blink red.  

Background: I have been in the IT field for over 20 years of experience and have done all types of IT support but primarily worked in DevOps/Software before becoming a manager.  I've managed my own home network for years.

My Home Network Context:

This Netgear Orbi product has given me fits.  Over the years, I've gone from Linksys to Apple wireless products.  My house currently runs the latest generation Apple Time Capsule with Apple Expresses to extend my wireless signal.  I've recently dabbled with mesh systems and have not been too impressed, based on my experience in a 2300 sq ft single story house.  The Gen 2 Eero system has been strong.  I've tried the Orbi RBK50 and found the Eero a better choice if wanting to keep a mesh system.  I am testing out the newer Orbi AC1200 (RBR10 and RBS10 labelled as "RBK14" kit) mesh system.  It's a lower cost system, and it really feels that way unfortunately.

Problem - longer version:

I am trying to set up the system, first with the RBR10 router.  I have it connected directly to my Apple Airport Extreme Time Capsule via Cat5e (different rooms).  The first step worked.  Next, I tried to add the RBS10 satellites, one at a time, and that's when all the problems started.  The first satellite turned on, and it may have automatically connected to the main Orbi router by itself.  I put the next two in various rooms to try to create a mesh.  I'd say the second and third satellites were two rooms apart, each, from the main Orbi router.  The main router seemed to see the satellites somehow, but they didn't connect properly in the Netgear Orbi setup tool, and they started blinking red.  I tried a variety of things, reboots, and a hard reset of the Orbi RBR10 router (which did work) - still the same result.  I also tried moving the satellites very close by (about 10 feet to the main router), and the satellites still blink red.  Holding down the reset button (pressing the reset several times, holding the reset down 7 seconds, holding down the reset for 30+ seconds, trying 30 seconds then unplugging then 30 seconds then replugging then 30 seconds) did not do anything.  The unit will turn on, show a green light briefly, then white, then blinking white, then solid red, then blinking red.  

I had a second RBK-14 Orbi set, and I tried setting up the satellites again.  This time, we started them within 10 feet of the router.  This seemed to work.  But, after trying to move one device to the room I actually wanted it to be, it started blinking red.  I moved it back close-by to the router, and it still blinked red.  I could not do the hard reset for this particular satellite (making this the 3rd "bad" satellite).  I took out another new satellite, and then I put it directly in the room I wanted it to be, went through the sync process, and it worked this time!  (It probably worked this time, because I finally had the router and 2 satellites working, so the last satellite, the farthest one from the main router, probably was able to connect through one of the other satellites.)

In the end, I opened two full sets of Orbi AC1200 (RBK14).  I went through 1 router and 6 satellite units.  3 satellites are finally connected.  3 are seemingly bricked - flashing red constantly now and cannot be hard reset.  I am not wanting to do a hard reset on the router at this point to test any theories.

Has anyone else tried out the recently new Orbi AC1200/RBK12/RBK13/RBK14?  Any suggestions?  

(I am also trying to contact Netgear directly, but there is only phone support, and I'd prefer email support.)

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi RBS10 - Blinking Red - Cannot Perform Factory Reset

15 second press of the reset button is needed. 

If you can't get the system working, I recommend returning the system and try a different system. You may have a faulty system out of the box. 

Message 2 of 3
owlowlowlowl
Initiate

Re: Netgear Orbi RBS10 - Blinking Red - Cannot Perform Factory Reset

Thanks - these were satellites from two different full sets of of the 4-pack from Netgear.  I ended up returning these items to Best Buy.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7