Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi and HomeKit Issues

WalshEdward
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi and HomeKit Issues

Hello:

I am using the Netgear Orbi in my home since January 2018.  I have the Orbi Router (RBK50) at one end of my home and the Orbi Satellite (RBS50) placed at the other end.  Over the past month I have been having issues with my HomeKit devices showing up as 'No Response' in the Home App on my iPhone or iPad.  The HomeKit devices are: August SmartLock (1); Philip Hue Lights (5); Eve Light Switches (2); Fibaro Motion Sensor (1); and Fibaro Leak Sensor (1).  

What has been happening is when I am at the end of the house where the Orbi Router is located I have no issues with accessing any of the HomeKit devices.  However, when I am at the end of the house by the Orbi Satellite (or even in the middle) I get a 'No Response' from the Eve Light Switch that is closest to the Orbi Router and both Fibaro Sensors (Motion and Leak).  The same thing happens when I am away.  Prior to last month everything was working fine.  I have done nothing outside updating my Apple TV to the latest TV OS along with updating my iPhone and iPad to iOS12.

For reference, my home is 1100 sq.ft.  and one level bungalow.  

Thank you in advance for giving this some thought and if anyone can offer some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Edward Walsh

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi and HomeKit Issues

You might try this and see if you can keep v10 on your system to make the HomeKit work:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBS40-firmware-V2-2-1-210-failed-what-next/m-p/1650247#M43189

I would presume that NG and Apple need to review this and either one come up with a good working and continued stable solution for HomeKit users. 

@ChristineT

@Christian_R

@AmitR

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 26

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. The router alone can cover up to about 1500sq ft alone.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

What happens if you turn OFF the Satellite temporarily and test with everything connected at the router? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-Homekit/m-p/1566363#M31213

Message 2 of 26
WalshEdward
Aspirant

Hello FURRYe38:

First, thank you for replying to my post so promptly.  Greatly appreciated.

Based on what you asked here is some information that I hope will be helpful.

Firmware:  V2.2.1.210

Cable Modem: ARRIS DG2470

Distance between Orbi Router and Orbi Satellite:  30 ft. or less

Building Materials:  Wooden Frame Structure with Gyproc Walls (with Laundry/Utility Room door open the Orbi Router has a clear path to the Orbi Satellite via a 4 ft. hallway path.  

What channels are you using:  For 2.4GHz it was set to Auto.  I set it to Channel 11 as you suggested.  For 5GHz I left it at the Channel it was already using - 48

Any WiFi neighbors near by?: Closest WiFi Signal is 50 ft. away.  Coming from home just above mine.

As for the other things you suggested - the only thing I have done so far is to take the 'check mark' out of the "Enable Daisy-Chain Topology" which I assume is actually enabling it based on your notes.  The rest of your suggestions I left for now.  

With regards to turning off the Orbi Satellite - I did turn it off though I cannot connect my Apple TV 4th Gen. to the Orbi Router at this time.  

That said, as of this reply I am no further ahead.  Based on what I just said would you like me to try the other things you suggested?  I guess I am having a hard time figuring out what happened from earlier this year when things did work till now.  The only difference was the TV OS and my iOS devices being updated with the latest Software Releases last month.  I did speak with Apple Support yesterday and they feel it is hardware related seeing it works at one end of the house but not at the other end of the house where the Orbi Satellite is.  Or for that fact even the middle.

I will leave it at that and await further communicaiton from you.  Again, thanks for your reply.

Sincerely,

Edward Walsh

Message 3 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

If this is your modem:

https://www.arris.com/products/touchstone-dg2470-cable-data-gateway/

Do you know if the modem is bridged and it's wifi disabled? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Make sure the satellite is at least 30 feet or more. Too close to the router can cause proablems.

Let put a check mark in the Daisy Chain feature for now. 

Does the HomeKit work with everything connected to the router alone? Leaving the satellite and Apple TV OFF for now. 

Message 4 of 26
WalshEdward
Aspirant

Hello FURREYe38:

Thank you again for your further assistance. 🙂

The Cable Modem had the WiFi disabled.

It was not in Bridge Mode.  It has been now changed to Bridge Mode.

The Orbi Satellite is 30 ft. away from the Orbi Router give or take a foot.

As you asked I have put a Check Mark once again to 'Enable' the 'Daisy-Chain' feature.

After doing all of this the issue still continues.  Still, when I am at the end of the house were the Orbi Router is located (Laundry Room) every HomeKit Device shows up in the Home App as functional.  Go halfway done my hallway and things start to change.  The Fibaro Sensors and the Eve Light Switch located in the Master Bedroom (next to the Laundry Room) show up as 'No Response'.  As I walk to the Living Room it is similar.  Eventually walk back to the Master Bedroom and everything is once again accessible.

That said, as you suggested I disconnected the Orbi Satellite and unplugged the Apple TV.  It made no difference.

FURREYe38, I apprecate all your suggesttions to date and if you can suggest anything else I am willing to try.  What I don't get is everything worked up until the iOS update.  I am not sure if it will work but I am going to use my wife's iPhone 5 which has iOS 10 on it and install all the HomeKit Devices into it and compare what happens 'just in case'.  I know Apple Support feels it is hardware related to the Orbi System but by trying that it might help confirm it one way or another.

Anyway, I will leave this with you to give thought to.  Again, thanks for everything.

Sincerely,

Edward Walsh 🙂

Message 5 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the Orbi FW upated before or after this recent iOS update? 

Message 6 of 26
WalshEdward
Aspirant

Hello FURRYe38:

To be honest, I am not 100% sure.  😞 

I do know that I installed iOS 12 on my iPhone the day it was released.  At the same time I had installed the Beta version of iOS 12 on my iPad in July and I don't remember seeing issues in the Home App like I am having now.  Still, I am only guessing and grasping for straws.

Outside that, I tried to install the various HomeKit Devices on my wife's iPhone 5 with iOS 10.  Didn't have any success with it recognizing any of the devices.  Will keep trying, but figured I better mention it with this reply.

Again, thanks for your help.  Greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Edward Walsh 🙂

Message 7 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You mgiht try this:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.
v210 Daisy chain fixed:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-doesn-t-work-with-Chromecast-Please-help/m-p/1652882/high...

Last resort:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Message 8 of 26
WalshEdward
Aspirant

Hello FURRYe38:

Good evening.  Sorry for not replying back to your earlier response sooner.

I followed your suggestions once again.  I changed teh CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307 for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  It was 2347.

You mention changing CTS/RTS Threshold twice - did I misunderstand what you were asking me to do the first time?

I did change the Preamble Mode to Long Preamble.

Regarding the Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence I unchecked the box which I assume will have it go to 40Mhz only.

As for the 'Last Resort' - that was regarding the latest Firmware.  I don't know if this is what you were suggesting but I downloaded the Firmware again and did a manual install which I assume would just overwrite the current Firmware.

After all this was done I did test everything.  Sadly, I am no further ahead.  I thought it was working for a minute as I was able to connect once to the Eve Light Switch while at the other end of the house.  That glimer of hope was short lived. 

FURRYe38, I wondered if going back to the previous Firmware might be someting to consider.  However, the latest Firmware was released when i was away the first two days of October and I was having the issue when I was away then.

On that note I will conclude for tonight.  It is late and I am calling it a night.  Just wanted to at least let you know what happened in hopes that there is something else that might still be tried.  Again, thanks for all your help.

Sincerely,

Edward Walsh 🙂

Message 9 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can try going back to prior working version of FW and see how it goes. The Orbi may upgrade again however. I believe you may need to contact NG support and get more help on this and let them know about your issues with v210 FW and HomeKit. It's not been the first time users have had problems with HomeKit and Orbi. 

@Christian_R

Message 10 of 26
WalshEdward
Aspirant

Hello FURRYe38:

Again, I thank you very much for your patience and help in this matter. 🙂

Inasmuch as I could try a previous FW Version I would not know how to obtain it.  Can you get it from Netgear Support website?

I do have one other option to consider - dig out my two old Apple Airport Time Capsules and set them up again to see what happens using them. It will be a pain, but it might help determine one way or the other whether or not the issue is the Netgear Orbi System or an issue with iOS 12.  I stopped using them as one of them would work then stop working which is why I went to the Netgear Orbi the beginning of 2018.  Perhaps I should have tried this first but seeing pretty well every other option has been tried with no or limited success I guess it won't hurt.

Outside that, I wish to thank you for all your suggestions.  Depending on what happens with my old Time Capsules I will contact Netgear Support.  I just hope that support will help me as I am well pass my 90 day window for free support.  I will update this thread with what transpires with the Apple Time Capsules so you will know what happened.  All the best.

Sincerely,

Edward Walsh 🙂

Message 11 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can get versions of FW from the support site. 

Yes, if you can set up the Apple Wifi and see if anything changes. I presume you may see something here. 

Message 12 of 26
WalshEdward
Aspirant

Hello FURRYe38:

Good day.  Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.  I just had a chance to try what I suggested in my previous post.

I was able to get my two Apple Airport Time Capsules back up and running.  I used one as the main Router and the other to act as an Wi-Fi Extender.  I am glad I did this as I think it might help determine what is or isn't the problem.  I had the same issue with this setup as I did the Netgear Orbi.  I thought it was going to work but as I got to the end of the house farthest away from the main Router I lost connection with the Eve Light Switch.  While I was at it I disconnected the second Apple Airport Time Capsule located in the Living Room.  By doing this I stayed by the main Orbi Router and noticed that I lost connection to some of the Philip Hue Lights and August SmartLock.  What was interesting was still being able to connect to the Philip Hue Lights and August SmartLock through their own Apps.  The Eve Light Switch App was the exception.  As I walked towards the Living Room the Eve Light Switch at the other end of the house stopped responding.

FURRYe38, I am going to leave this with you to mull over.  After all of this my personal takeaway is an issue with the Apple Home App or how it handles things in iOS 12.  Or it could be a culmination of things - software and hardware.  Regardless, something has changed and hopefully a software or Firmware update might get things back on track whether from Apple or Netgear.

Thank you again for all your time.  I have greatly appreciated it.  Please feel free to leave any comments on the above.  I plan on letting my contact at Apple Support all that has been tried.  He has been waiting for my reply since Sunday.  Hopefully all that has been tried will be helpful in resolving things.

Sincerely,

Edward Walsh 🙂

Message 13 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you test the apple router and wifi with the NG Orbi turned OFF as well? 

What device are you using to test this with? iPhone? 

Also seems like maybe this is a Light switch issue maybe. If this is happening on two different wifi systems. 

Have you contacted the Mfr of these Light switches to see if they have any wifi information? 

Message 14 of 26
WalshEdward
Aspirant

Hello FURRYe38:

To answer your questions:

Yes.  I shut down the Netgear Orbi System first prior to creating the temporary network using my old Apple Airport Time Capsules.

I am using an iPhone 6 with iOS 12.0.1 sofware.

As for it being a faulty Eve Light Switch - I thought of that.  However, it works perfectly when I am in the Master Bedroom where it is located.  I only can't reach it when I go to the other end of the house.  That is when I get a 'No Response' from it and the Fibaro Sensors.

I did contact Fibaro regarding the Motion and Leak Sensor issues.  All the person suggested is to get a Fibaro Zwave product.  Go figure.  

As for the Eve Light Switch - Eve support gave me instructions for resetting it to factory conditon plus deleting it from the iPhone and then reinstalling it.  Their suggestions didn't pan out which is why I then contacted Apple Support and they in turn suggested I speak with Netgear after what they had me try didn't resolve the issue.

Hope this helps...

Edward Walsh 🙂

Message 15 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Of course, one Mfr always passing the buck...

Only thing I can suggest is to try putting the prior version of FW on the Orbi router and see if that has any difference. I presume it may not. Also the router may auto update after putting old FW back on. Not sure though. 

Only other thing I can think of is to see about moving the Orbi router maybe if you can. Even a couple of feet. 

Well you do have something to ask Apple about and tell them that both the NG or There wifi system both exhibit this issue with the iphone. 

Message 16 of 26
WalshEdward
Aspirant

Hello FURRYe38:

I am sorry for the delay in replying to your last communicaiton.  😞

As for 'passing the buck' I guess it is normal when everything you try to resolve the issue doesn't work like you hoped it would.    

Anyway, over the weekend I finally had a chance to search for older Firmware on Netgear's website.  I downloaded it and installed it over the most recent version.  The Firmware I used was v2.1.4.10 dated from April of this year.  I knew that things still worked at that time.  How did it go?  Unless it was just a fluke, I was able to access everything no matter my location in the home or even if I left the house.  Sadly, it didn't last long as the Netgear Orbi Router and Satellite updated the Firmware on their own shortly thereafter.  

In addiiton, I took the two Fibaro HomeKit devices and put them out in the Kitchen area which is serviced by the Orbi Satellite.  I did this prior to downgrading the Firmware and I had better connectivity success with them compared to when they were in the Master Bedroom area.  The Eve Light Switch I wasn't able to move and it still showed up as 'No Response'.  

FURRYe38, I don't fully comprehend why I still had the issue using my two old Apple Airport Time Capsules unless I didn't set them up properly.  Granted, I did have issues with my August SmartLock Connect but just chaulked that up to it needing to be reset or something else which I didn't want to do seeing I was only doing a test.

That said, I can only conclude now that Firmware v2.2.1.210 had a issue with HomeKit.  I looked in the settings for the Netgear Orbi to see if I could stop automatic Firmware updates but I can't seem to find anything.  At least telling it not to update till another Firmware version is available would be most helpful.  Are you aware of a way to stop automatic updates?

FURRYe38, I appreciate everything you suggested as well as what Apple Support did along with Eve Support.  Seeing it is leaning towards being a Netgear Firmware issue, do you think Netgear will still charge me for their help seeing my Netgear Orbi is no longer in the 90 Day Support period?  I saw on the Netgear website that there is a charge of $50 US beyond the 90 Day period.  Hopefully they won't seeing it is not something I did.  

While I do still have your attention I would like to ask something that you might be able to comment on for me.  Is it possible with Netgear Orbi to force a device to connect only with 5GHz and not the 2.4GHz band?  I had with my Apple Airport Time Capsules a different SSID for the 5GHz band and had certain devices logged into that SSID.  I hope you don't mind me asking.

On that note I will conclude.  I await your thoughts on the above.  Again, I am sorry for not responding sooner.

SIncerely,

Edward Walsh 🙂

Message 17 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try this and see if you can keep v10 on your system to make the HomeKit work:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBS40-firmware-V2-2-1-210-failed-what-next/m-p/1650247#M43189

I would presume that NG and Apple need to review this and either one come up with a good working and continued stable solution for HomeKit users. 

@ChristineT

@Christian_R

@AmitR

Message 18 of 26
witto
Aspirant

I am quite frustrated and just wanted to add that I am having issues with the latest firmware and HomeKit as well.
Bought Orbi just yesterday and I am quite upset that I spend so much money just ending up with HomeKit not working anymore.

If I disconnect Orbi and reinstall the old WiFi setup, HomeKit works again.
Message 19 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

@ChristineT

@AmitR

@witto wrote:
I am quite frustrated and just wanted to add that I am having issues with the latest firmware and HomeKit as well.
Bought Orbi just yesterday and I am quite upset that I spend so much money just ending up with HomeKit not working anymore.

If I disconnect Orbi and reinstall the old WiFi setup, HomeKit works again.

Message 20 of 26
ahann
Guide

I'm having the same issues as described. This is the second time this has happened this year and it's quite frustrating. It happened in May when they released an update the created the same effect as what is happening now. I had to get a special FW update directly from a NG employee through the forum. I didn't drop $$$ on this router for it to break half of my stuff every 4-5 months. Now I have to turn off my satellite which helps the symptoms a little until they release a new FW. I just don't understand how this is acceptable. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 21 of 26
WilliamGr
Guide

Add me to the list of those having trouble on the latest firmware with the Orbis and HomeKit devices. REALLY annoying. 

Message 22 of 26
AC641
Luminary

I have the same issue with Philips Hue lighting; the Routines I have set simply don't trigger and it's getting worse i.e. more regular to the point that the Routines now fail more often than they work.  I have rebooted and reconfigured everything but still the problem persists.

Message 23 of 26
WilliamGr
Guide

Out of interest, I've been playing around with this and discovered that the HomeKit devices are more likely to work if the device acccessing them is NOT on the wifi network. e.g. I put my iPhone Xs into LTE-only (wifi off), and then I can usually access all my devices. However, when connected to the Orbi WiFi, many of my devices often don't respond in the Home app (though they often work in the original manufactuer's app - e.g. August locks).

What's going on here, Netgear?

Message 24 of 26
ahann
Guide

Just an update on my issues. I found that with an iOS 12 update (12.1.1 I think) it helped fixed some of the issues I was having. Every now and then it gets a little weird, but I noticed a significant change at that point. So I'm not sure if Netgear's udpate fixed something that was coming in Apple's iOS 12.1.1 update, or what...but with everything up to date things have been working much better. 

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7