Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New House - Orbi Options

RandallTG
Tutor

New House - Orbi Options

I am currently having a new house built.  The builder installs a 30" network cabinet with a homerun to the exterior of the home for ISP service.  They aslo provide Cat 6 to 2 ceiling loctions for PoE WAP and to mutiple places, I have 5, for TV to be hardwired back to the cabinet.  I am also adding to ports in a small office.  The house is about 2600 sq feet.  

I am looking at putting Obri in and hardwiring TVs so I will need a small (8 port) switch. I think I want the Obri to run in AP mode.  Would I still plug the router/modem from the ISP into the Orbi and then plug the Orbi into the switch or would I plug the switch into the modem/router?  I want to keep this simple and user friendly.  I want to ensure I can still stream from my wireless devices to wired devices.  Any advise would be apperciated.

Thank you 

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New House - Orbi Options

ISP modem to swtich then to Orbi or you can go from ISP modem and have both RBR and Switch connected to the modem in parallel. 

IF you want to connect the RBS wired, then you can follow this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@RandallTG wrote:

I am currently having a new house built.  The builder installs a 30" network cabinet with a homerun to the exterior of the home for ISP service. 

What kind of "homerun to the exterior" is this? (Coax? ethernet?)

I would want the ISP device to be in this telecom location. Cable companies use Quad Shield Coax. Some ISP's install a conversion box on the wall outside and want ethernet to run inside the house.  Some want to bring fiber into the house.

Advice: buy a gigabit switch with more ports than you think you need, especially more PoE ports.

Message 3 of 15
RandallTG
Tutor

They will run both coax and cat 6 to the exterior.  Yes that is my goal to have the ISP modem in the telecom box.  I want the ISP modem/router and switch in the telecom box and the orbi centrally located in the house.  

Message 4 of 15
RandallTG
Tutor

Is there any advantages or disadvantages to either set up you mentioned. I will have enough ports on the switch to backhaul the RBS too.  

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

if you wire connect the RBS, then you'll need a switch after the RBR or directly connect the RBS to the BACK of the RBR. The connection configuration for the RBS needs to be at the RBR, not in front or at the modem or switch in front of the RBR. 

Message 6 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@RandallTG wrote:

They will run both coax and cat 6 to the exterior.  Yes that is my goal to have the ISP modem in the telecom box.  I want the ISP modem/router and switch in the telecom box and the orbi centrally located in the house.  

What a wonderful opportunity (green with envy!)

Might consider how an ISP will deliver a fiber optic cable to this telcom box. My son in North Carolina recently got fiber, which involved the installer going through the crawl space (1928 era house) and drilling up through the floor. May not be practical in your case, whereas a PEX cable from the telecom box to the outside would make fishing fiber optic cable simple.

The idea of "more PoE ports" is in the area of security cameras.  When I got into security cameras, running ethernet cable to the locations where I wanted cameras was a nightmare, so I purchased WiFi cameras.  (As, it turns out, was finding electrical outlets nearby for the WiFi cameras I purchased.)

p.s. I'm not sure how practical ceiling mount WiFi access points are, but during construction, ethernet cable installation is cheap. Afterwards, not so much.

Message 7 of 15
RandallTG
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

if you wire connect the RBS, then you'll need a switch after the RBR or directly connect the RBS to the BACK of the RBR. The connection configuration for the RBS needs to be at the RBR, not in front or at the modem or switch in front of the RBR. 

So if I am reading this correctly I would do the following:

ICP Router/Modem to RBR

RBR back to switch

RBS to switch

I would still be able to use the Obris as APs and the ISP modem/router as my router for the network

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

ICP Router/Modem to RBR

RBR back to switch <Where is this switch? Connected between modem and RBR? IF so, then:

RBS to RBR or RBS to another switch thats in between the RBR and RBS. 

I would still be able to use the Obris as APs and the ISP modem/router as my router for the network. Yes. 

Message 9 of 15
RandallTG
Tutor

The switch will be in the telecom cabinet. I will have the orbi centrally located in the house. At that location I plan to have to Ethernet runs back to the same cabinet. So the switch would be after the RBR. it would be modem to RBR and then out of RBR to 8 port switch
Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, that should work then.

What is the brand and model of this switch? 

Message 11 of 15
RandallTG
Tutor

That I do not know yet. Any recommendations
?
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 13 of 15
RandallTG
Tutor

Thanks. So pretty inexpensive ones will work for me it looks like.
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes the NG and D-Links one are inexpensive. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7