Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI with QNAP

entdgc
Aspirant

Picture 2 mentioned above - details of the Orbi configuration

Message 26 of 32
entdgc
Aspirant

Picture 3 mentioned above - details of the Plusnet configuration

Message 27 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

I remain totally unable to come up with even a theory about why the NAS does not appear to devices on the Orbi LAN.

However, I can explain the other situation.  When a device on the Orbi LAN (10.0.0.x subnet) tried to open a connection to a device that is not on the subnet, it sends the request to the gateway (Orbi router) which does Network Address Translation (NAT) on it and transmits it.

The Orbi's WAN interface is on the 192.168.1.x subnet, so the connection has to be on some device on the same subnet.  If the IP address being sought e is "anywhere else", the Orbi will send the connection request to its gateway (the Plusnet router), which will do the same thing.  Orbi ARP's "who has 192.168.1.65?", the NAS responds, and the connection is opened.  The NAS responds back to the Orbi router which "un-NATs" to figure out which device on its LAN side gets the response.

It works in this direction, but not in the reverse.  If the NAS tried to connect to 10.0.0.27, it would say, "this cannot be on my local LAN (192.168.1.x), so I have to send the request to my gateway (Plusnet)."  It has no idea where 10.0.0.x is except that it is NOT on the same LAN.  I believe a REALLY sophisticated person might be able to figure out a way to use static route (or something) to let a computer know where to find 10.0.0.x, but that is WAY above my competence level.

Message 28 of 32
entdgc
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

I remain totally unable to come up with even a theory about why the NAS does not appear to devices on the Orbi LAN.

However, I can explain the other situation.  When a device on the Orbi LAN (10.0.0.x subnet) tried to open a connection to a device that is not on the subnet, it sends the request to the gateway (Orbi router) which does Network Address Translation (NAT) on it and transmits it.

The Orbi's WAN interface is on the 192.168.1.x subnet, so the connection has to be on some device on the same subnet.  If the IP address being sought e is "anywhere else", the Orbi will send the connection request to its gateway (the Plusnet router), which will do the same thing.  Orbi ARP's "who has 192.168.1.65?", the NAS responds, and the connection is opened.  The NAS responds back to the Orbi router which "un-NATs" to figure out which device on its LAN side gets the response.

It works in this direction, but not in the reverse.  If the NAS tried to connect to 10.0.0.27, it would say, "this cannot be on my local LAN (192.168.1.x), so I have to send the request to my gateway (Plusnet)."  It has no idea where 10.0.0.x is except that it is NOT on the same LAN.  I believe a REALLY sophisticated person might be able to figure out a way to use static route (or something) to let a computer know where to find 10.0.0.x, but that is WAY above my competence level.

I hate it when people say "Put simply..." and then go on to speak technical gobbledeegook. This is NOT one of those cases - briliant explanation that I understood! TBH I have had it with this problem now. I will ring Orbi helpline tomorrow and if I cant get a solution I will take the Orbi back and go back to the TP-Link Archer 2800 it replaced.

Thanks @CrimpOn 

Message 29 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree.  One can only run headlong into a wall for so long before it ceases to be entertaining.

One you have learned the NAS IP address on the ISP router, can devices connected to the Orbi stream music, save files, etc.?

Message 30 of 32
entdgc
Aspirant

Full disclosure - I have returned the Orbi today as I had a weekend of bangng my head against a brick wall with no success and no response from the Netgear help line. Typicaly I have tonight received a reply and in case it helps anyone else I will post it here. Obviously I cannot test this...

Enable Port Aggregation on your router:

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or wireless device that is connected to the network.
2. Enter http://www.orbilogin.net.
A login screen displays.
3. Enter the admin user name and password.
The user name is admin and the password is the one that you created during set up. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
4. Select ADVANCED>Advanced Setup>Ethernet Port Aggregation.

Enable LACP on QNAP NAS.

1. Use Ethernet cables to connect the QNAP NAS to Ethernet port 1 and port 2 on the router.
2. Launch a web browser to access the QNAP NAS management page.
3. Follow this link: http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.0/en/index.html?network.htm
4. Go back to the router's UI and check if Port Aggregation status is now Active.

Message 31 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

I cannot imagine how enabling port aggregation would change anything. The issue is not bandwidth, it is connecting in the first place.

Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7