Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi DHCP static ip Qnap with dual NICs

orbiRoss20
Follower

Orbi DHCP static ip Qnap with dual NICs

Router Firmware Version
V2.1.2.18

Hi, I have a Qnap NAS with 2 NICs which are both ethernet cabled into Orbi router.  How do I assign a static ip address when 2 MAC addresses?

Thanks.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 4
Roamabout
Luminary

Re: Orbi DHCP static ip Qnap with dual NICs

I dont know anything about that qnap NAS but I am guessing that it relies on a feature that the Orbi does not have. I scanned the Orbi manual and I dont see any references to port aggregation. The point of the dual NIC's is to give you more bandwidth and some failover capability in the case of one of the NIC's failing but it needs support from the switch/router to work. I'm sure someone more familiar with the Orbi will chime in if I am mistaken.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Most home routers don't support Link Aggregation. The two NICs will be seen as different IP addreses only. 

To take advantage of Link Aggregation, you would need a switch that may have these features. You'll need to refer to QNAPs support and and information on what they recommend and how to use the dual NICs on there system. 

@orbiRoss20wrote:

Router Firmware Version
V2.1.2.18

Hi, I have a Qnap NAS with 2 NICs which are both ethernet cabled into Orbi router.  How do I assign a static ip address when 2 MAC addresses?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 4
Brain29
Apprentice

@orbiRoss20wrote:

Router Firmware Version
V2.1.2.18

Thanks.

Advanced -> setup ->Lan Setup -> Add to Address Reservation 

Its easy to miss if you have no vaules in it already

- most home riad devices are 100% fine with just static ips -- I have 1 fixed and 1 set to dhcp on another switch, the only time I notice it working is if more then 1 person is connected to it. It's kind of pointless unless you have duel lan to your desktop or a few people who might hit the server at the same time - even then you basically need the qnap to be filled with ssd's because spin drives are slow -- why some come with ssd cache .. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7