Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Mesh Wifi is not connecting to with Blink Sync Module

pradones
Aspirant

Orbi Mesh Wifi is not connecting to with Blink Sync Module

I have an Orbi RBR50 with two satellites set up in my home. I am not able to connect the Blink Sync Module (Blink Cameras) resulting in the inability to connect the camera system to my wifi and rendering it useless. I have a fiber network(Ting). Everytime I attempt to connect the module I get a red light on the sync module. I have read that Blink syncing will only work on 2.4G network, I unchecked the SSID Broadband for the 5Ghz wireless setting on the router.

It still did not work, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Mesh Wifi is not connecting to with Blink Sync Module

I see step 5, "Plug in Sync Module" and wait for steady green and blinking blue.

https://support.blinkforhome.com/en_US/battery-powered-camera/setting-up-your-battery-powered-camera 

This is where the red light appears?

Have you done this step:

https://support.blinkforhome.com/en_US/original-sync-module/sync-module-reset-button 

The Blink system has only 2.4G radios and is careful to explain that it only detects 2.4G WiFi systems.  You can temporarily stop broadcasting the Orbi 5G WiFi signal if you want to, but it should have no bearing on the problem.

My practice with new gizmos is to set them up while sitting comforably in the same room with the Orbi router. Makes it easier to switch attention from the Orbi Attached Devices screen, to the smartphone app, and to the device itself.  After the gizmo is working, I move it to the desired location. 

It would have been nice if Amazon had mentioned somwhere in the setup description what a red light is supposed to indicate.

Message 2 of 8
pradones
Aspirant

Sorry I did not mean to confuse you, when I start the process the blue light is on and the green light is blinking, I am able to identify the system and begin entering the wifi and password, after a few seconds of trying to connect I get the red light which lets me know it did not work.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 25% on the 5Ghz radio and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Turn OFF the RBS as well. The try to connect your setup mobile device to the RBR. Walk the device out a ways to ensure it connects to the 2.4Ghz radio rather then the 5Ghz radio. 

Contact the Mfr of the camera for additional help and information. 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@pradones wrote:

Sorry I did not mean to confuse you, when I start the process the blue light is on and the green light is blinking, I am able to identify the system and begin entering the wifi and password, after a few seconds of trying to connect I get the red light which lets me know it did not work.

I am confused all the time.  I was pretty sure it said green light ON and blue light blinking, but 'no matter'

So we are on step 7, choosing a WiFi system.  You select the Orbi WiFi by pressing on the name, and move on to step 8 where the password is entered.  This is like the 9th level of Hell for my fat fingers.  At least Blink has a way to display the password that was entered (and not persist in showing 'dots').  The password is the Orbi WiFi password, not the web interface administration password.

If it fails the same way again after doing a 'reset' (I have a 'special' paperclip for this because I do it so often.), my next step would be to try it on a different WiFi network.  Like the Orbi Guest WiFi.

Message 5 of 8
pradones
Aspirant

Unfortunately, attemtpting to add to the Guest Wifi Account was not succesful either.

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Are you on speaking terms with any of your neighbors?  Or, do you have another phone that can set up a Hot Spot?

Either of those would take the Orbi completely out of the picture.

Message 7 of 8
caremd99
Aspirant

It sounds like I have a similar system. Do you have only 1 Blink sync module? Is it version 1 ( no local storage) or 2? I have five version 1 ( I have zones for my cameras) and have not had any problems connecting. I have Beamforming, Daisy Chaining, WMM on, and all antennas at 100% both bands.

If you have another sync module will it not connect either? I am wondering if you have a bad sync module.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7