Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi - Overide 2.4ghz/5ghz priorities and QOS

NitrousX
Aspirant

Orbi - Overide 2.4ghz/5ghz priorities and QOS

Hi Netgear, I am in the market to purchase a new mesh wifi hub.

As the title suggests, I am looking for a mesh wifi hub that allows me to overide which the automatic switching over wifi bands.

I have a PC that sits in my bedroom which needs to be on the 5ghz so it can utilise as much of the bandwith from my billion router. With this I also need the ability to use my routers QOS. I know the Orbi devices have their own built in QOS pritortisation but if i was to disable this. Would it use my routers QOS instead?

This is a deal breaker for me, without these neccessities there is no point in me having a mesh network without being able to overide the automatic settings.

Hope you can help thanks.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi - Overide 2.4ghz/5ghz priorities and QOS

@NitrousX wrote:

.....With this I also need the ability to use my routers QOS. I know the Orbi devices have their own built in QOS pritortisation but if i was to disable this. Would it use my routers QOS instead?

Orbi can be used both in Router mode or AP mode that you can select when configuring your system. If you use the Orbi in AP mode then all routing, including QoS rules will be done only by your router.

Message 2 of 10
NitrousX
Aspirant

Hi thank you for your reply. So I can use QOS from the router thats good. So what about choosing which wifi band per device as I explained earlier is this possible thanks

Message 3 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@NitrousX wrote:

...... So what about choosing which wifi band per device as I explained earlier is this possible thanks

You can't do such configuration in Orbi, but in some devices (e.g Windows PCs, see snapshot below) you can select which band to use.Untitled.png

Message 4 of 10
NitrousX
Aspirant

That's a shame that I cannot change the wifi band from the orbi. As I would be connecting my PC to a orbi via ethernet. Does Orbi use fastlane tech to change to 5ghz from 2.4ghz similar to what you can do with the EX7000 wifi extender?

Message 5 of 10
st_shaw
Master

@NitrousX wrote:

That's a shame that I cannot change the wifi band from the orbi. As I would be connecting my PC to a orbi via ethernet. Does Orbi use fastlane tech to change to 5ghz from 2.4ghz similar to what you can do with the EX7000 wifi extender?

If you connect your PC to Orbi via an Ethernet wire, your PC will not be using WiFi to connect to Orbi.

So why are you asking whether you can force your PC to use 5 GHz?

Message 6 of 10
NitrousX
Aspirant

Main reason is that the range of my EX7000 has limited 5ghz range keeps dropping out. I have tweaked the bandwidth and placed the antennas from the router and extender as close as possible to each other. So ive done everything possible so i believe i need a new setup to make it work basically

Message 7 of 10
ekhalil
Master

Can you please then describe why you need to be able to select the band for which you want your devices connect to.
Basically, Orbi should give you good coverage everywhere in your house if configured correctly. Both bands share the same SSID. Your devices will select the band that the device decides to be more suitable, so if all works as it should you will not need to do any further settings related to the band selection.
Message 8 of 10
NitrousX
Aspirant

As I said earlier on 5ghz band i am able to utilise the whole of my internet bandwith which is 40mbps. But when I switch to the 2.4ghz I get a poultry 4.4mbps speed. Anything that is connected via ethernet gets the max speed advertised. 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend that you don't use the EX7000. It's a well known issue that doing extending and or repeating of a signal already has performance issues on wireless since the signal is being processed in many ways, this causes a performance drop. 

Also be aware of the sq ft of your home and building materials will have an impact of wifi coverage. What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. The Orbi systems have good coverage and performances for what they are and do. I have 5000sq ft home and use just the base router and 1 satellite 40 feet inbetween and have great coverage and performances. I also have the EX7500 and EX7700. I don't use these at all when the Orbi is online. Ive found out that using the EX extenders prefer non smart connect SSIDs and prefer having SSID separate on routers that are non mesh supporting. The EX series work great on my XR450 and R7800 routers. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7